IGNORED

Bluray Player As A Digital Audio Streamer?

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Or is there a better way to accomplish the same thing?

Using a DLNA capable bluray player. Optical or Coax out to a Dac/Pre amp. Then into a separate amplifier.

Then stream from a laptop or server.

The principle sounds fine.

In practice you'd need to be sure that the bluray player is capable of streaming via DLNA the music file formats and resolutions you require. Also, if you are using the bluray player directly to select & play the music, you'll need to consider the convenience of having to switch on the tv to do this. Otherwise, you may be able to use a UPnP/DLNA control point, running on a pad/tablet/phone/computer to select the music tracks from the server and push them to the bluray player, if it can be used as DLNA renderer (plus check if the required file formats are still supported in this mode). If you care about gapless playback, then you need to make sure this is supported too, including, if capable, when used as a renderer.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am seeing what you mean. Looks like DLNA has some limitations and performance issues.

I was hoping to use an android app to push/pull the music so I dont have to turn on the tv.

You would have to ask about specific players rather than asking about players generally.

For example the Oppo 103/105 players work quite well as a streamer. Where as the earlier 93/95 had limits in that they couldn't (easily: some people came up with work arounds) be controlled by a separate control point.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.