IGNORED

Doug MacLeod "There's A Time" on HDTracks

I just purchased Doug MacLeod's recent release, "There's A Time" from HDTracks. If you like his music, it's definitely worth a listen. It was recently highly recommended in a review in, I believe, Stereophile(or was it The Absolute Sound?).

I know that HDTracks takes a beating around here often enough for the provenance of their files and I am not here to defend them. I will say, however, that the Doug MacLeod recording comes from Reference Recordings and is 24/176.4 PCM in origin. RR says on their website that they plan to release a 24/176.4 version on disk and, meanwhile, the current offerring on their website is redbook CD only. That leaves no question in my mind as to the provenance of this recording. This also obviously means that the 24/176.4 version is only available this time as a download from HDTracks. And, yes, Keith Johnson is the recording engineer.

Esau

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To peterbj

THis thing here is very, very spectacular:

stravins.gif

As for Mr MacLeod recording, this is an interesting case.

If we are to beleve Acoustic Sounds site, the recording was done in PCM at 24/176.4.

Now, Acoustic Sounds has transferred the album "to DSD using the best equipment available"

We can buy the album:

- 30$, 24/174.4, at HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds

- 25$, DSD, at Acoustic Sounds

- 20$, 24/88, HD Tracks

What would be the advantage of buying it as a DSD download?

I have the 176.4/24 PCM version and it sounds not good ... It is spectacular !

No way for me to doubt any of the published information - great recording & mastering of music which I like very much.

So why worry about a reformatting in another firmat if the original sounds great ?

To peterbj

THis thing here is very, very spectacular:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10517[/ATTACH]

As for Mr MacLeod recording, this is an interesting case.

If we are to beleve Acoustic Sounds site, the recording was done in PCM at 24/176.4.

Now, Acoustic Sounds has transferred the album "to DSD using the best equipment available"

We can buy the album:

- 30$, 24/174.4, at HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds

- 25$, DSD, at Acoustic Sounds

- 20$, 24/88, HD Tracks

What would be the advantage of buying it as a DSD download?

Well, some people find DSD more ''analogue'' in sound character. Personally I prefer to have the format that the mix/master was made in, but............ ? probably the DSD version sounds good too.