IGNORED

NAS permissions issue

jtk

I have a QNAP NAS that I store my lossless files on, I use a Mac to manage it and a Squeezebox for playback.

I'm going to switch to a bigger hard drive, and in preparation I tried to run QNAP's External Drive backup to an external drive. It didn't work, and the logfile shows that some of my folders have permissions issues. I only have one user (admin) on my NAS so I'm unsure how this happened. Does the protocol I use to connect to the NAS (AFP or SAMBA) have an effect on this?

fwiw, I'm able to copy the files from the NAS to the external drive when the external drive is connected to my Mac instead of directly to the NAS. But, I want to be able to use the built in NAS backup because it's automated.

What can I do to prevent this from happening?

The only thing I can think of is some problem the NAS has accessing the external drive that has already been used by the Mac. Is the external drive formatted in one of the Mac file systems? Are there any Mac exclusive type files already on the drive that may not be readible by the NAS? If this is so, it might be worth reformatting the drive with the NTFS file system, say, if you are able to.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Yeah, this sounds like it could be possible. The external drive is "Mac OS Extended" and the NAS is ext4 (I'm trying to copy from the NAS to the external), and there are definitely Mac-exclusive files on there (.AppleDouble is one for sure). I may be able reformat the external to a different filesystem through the NAS, I will give that a try.

btw... I reformatted the external and then copied the music files to that through my desktop, and I was also able to copy the files back onto the new hard drive in the NAS. I'm waiting on a new backup enclosure (2 hard drives, so I can use the drives I've already got for now) but after that I'll be trying to get the backup working again.

Oh yeah, I did try SMB to copy the files back to the NAS, but it wouldn't work because of unrecognized file types (AppleDouble). I'll probably need to figure out a way to delete those from the NAS.

Just wanted to post an update. I set OSX to write "DS_Store" files to network drives, and then purchased an app called BlueHarvest that deletes AppleDouble and resource fork files from network drives. I'm not sure how much it deleted, but this seems to have solved the problem, because the backup from the NAS to the external drive (external drive connected directly to NAS via eSata) worked without a problem last night. So, I declare the problem is solved!