IGNORED

Help! I'm a computer audiophile ignoramus!

khodges

Hi. I've perused these forums and still can't figure out what I need to know. So, here goes:

I have a stand-alone stereo, which includes a McIntosh C-50 preamplifier with a USB port for accommodating digital music sources. I have about 1,500 compact discs that I want to rip to a lossless format and store on some device that can be hooked up to and played through the C-50. I don't care about streaming anything or downloading anything from the internet. All I want to do is play the ripped files and have good sound.

Questions:

1. If I got the Synology DS413, would that play the stored files?

2. If I bought a diskless Synology DS413, would it still play the stored files (i.e. are the disks just for backup?)?

3. For the time being, I'm planning on ripping the CDs using my laptop and using the laptop as the interface using JRiver. Any problems?

4. Any recommendations/suggestions?

Much thanks.

Thanks!

1. It might, it seems to have some software you can install on it for music playback. But it would be easier to start by using your laptop.

2. Don't think so, reckon you'd need to put some disks in there.

3. No problems, this is the best way to get started.

4. Forget about the Synology for the moment. Rip some CDs to your laptop. Connect the laptop to the McIntosh via USB. I think you will need driver software - look here:

McIntosh C50 Stereo Preamplifier With 8 Band Tone RS232 Software Control

Once you have some nice sounding music coming out you might want to think about:

a - if you want to dedicate your laptop as the music computer

b - how much disc space you'll need to store all your music

(this is where the synology thingy might be one - of several possible options)

Since your preamp already has a converter, I would try connecting with USB and see how it sounds. If your computer supports any other type of digital output like spdif coax or tosling. There are many different opioions as to what sounds the best. I would recommend you try them all and pick the one you like best. As far as ripping goes, I would use a free program called EAC. Many consider it to be the best ripping software you can get. The only downside is that the initial setup can be very complex. Its extremely difficult for a new user to get it configured running properly. If you go to this website, EAC Setup Guide, you can view an excellent setup guide. Its all very clear and if you follow the instructions, step by step, you should have no problems at all. It goes through each and every feature and when you are done, you'll know you have it set right.