IGNORED

You wim some, you lose some

Two of my all time favorites are Santana's Abraxas and Steely Dan's Aja.

I bought the HD Tracks version of Abraxas (24/176), and I think it is excellent. Much better than my MoFi cd. I'm really liking the additional detail and tight deep bass that exceeds the cd. So that's the winner and highly recommended (at least by me).

The loser, unfortunately, is the SMH-SACD (2010 dsd master) of Aja. I just don't think it sounds so great, and certainly not good enough to justify the huge premium price over the cd ($58). Now maybe it's just that I have heard the cd SO MANY TIMES that I am used to a pumped up bass or some other artificial element of the cd's production, and the top end of the sacd has more air and the staging is better, but the sacd just lacks life to me. I think I prefer the cd.

All the best!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.