IGNORED

Windows on Mac

Hi all,

It s only recently that I was made aware about booting up a Mac under windows 7 ( yes I know m a little slow to catch up...:)

As such i was wondering if many have done it and it s there s any caveats by doing so. For me it almost seem immoral to do such thing but who knows, it may work very well.

I was purely using the Mac mini as a media/music server, no gaming, no work.

but to be honest really do not like iTunes, so over the last few months I re ripped all my cd on my laptop with jrivers in flac. I just love jrivers so much, especially the new version. I can access all my music and home video/pictures thru it and the iPad remote is great.

However, I have limited storage on the laptop, so wouldn t mind using the mini again and load jrivers under bootcamp and win 7. I know jrivers is working on a Mac version. So just in case jrivers does not turn out to be as effective on a Mac, would using win 7 on the Mac be a solution.

Also, if running windows on a Mac does that mean you can transfer files from PC to Mac without any hiccups.?

M sorry if this has been asked before, but used the search function and not much came up and same for google, so hopefully someone will be kind enough to enlighten me.

Regards

John

Start here for answers regarding running both operating systems on your Mac:

Apple - Support - Boot Camp

As for your other questions, I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers, John.

- Mick

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

I've done it with bootcamp on a Macbook Pro. Once setup it worked extremely well with almost all features working properly.

Unfortunately it's been too long since I set it up so I can't remember details very well. I do remember that there were a few problems on initial bootup. I think one might have been the mouse and the right click. There was something else too that I can't remember. But there were easy solutions and enough people that have done it so only a few minutes of Googling solved all of the problems.

I've been interested to hear from someone who has tried running JRiver on a Mac running Windows so some comparisons can be made to the Mac players with different hardware removed from the equation.

Hi all,

It s only recently that I was made aware about booting up a Mac under windows 7 ( yes I know m a little slow to catch up...:)

As such i was wondering if many have done it and it s there s any caveats by doing so. For me it almost seem immoral to do such thing but who knows, it may work very well.

I was purely using the Mac mini as a media/music server, no gaming, no work.

but to be honest really do not like iTunes, so over the last few months I re ripped all my cd on my laptop with jrivers in flac. I just love jrivers so much, especially the new version. I can access all my music and home video/pictures thru it and the iPad remote is great.

However, I have limited storage on the laptop, so wouldn t mind using the mini again and load jrivers under bootcamp and win 7. I know jrivers is working on a Mac version. So just in case jrivers does not turn out to be as effective on a Mac, would using win 7 on the Mac be a solution.

You are not the only one who does not like the iTunes. If that is your problem, I would recommend to evaluate two more music players which using the iTunes as the slave. Take a look at Amarra Hifi and Audirvana Plus. They are about $50 with one month trial and they are on MAC. If you like them you wouldn't need to go through the hassle of using Windos and installing drivers for your DAC. Windos (often) needs drivers for DACs. On MAC you don't need to install any driver for USB DACs.

Now, If you like Jrivers so much you could follow the Bootcamp link, which Mick The Kraken provided and install Windos on your Mini without any big issues. Usually Windos runs even better on MAC hardware than regular PC.

After you have setup Windos on the Mini you will have two separate operating systems on it. When you start the Mini you will have two options to load (by pushing and holding the Option key): Either Mac OS X or Windos.

Also, if running windows on a Mac does that mean you can transfer files from PC to Mac without any hiccups.?

If you mean that you can move your FLAC files and anything else from your PC to your Mini, then the answer is YES!

To make it clear one more time. Apple uses the same/similar Intel architect as PC companies do. So if you install Windos on your Mini you will have a new PC with better hardware. :)

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

I run my Macbook Pro Retina as a Win 7 machine most of the time via Bootcamp. There were some issues with the Apple Magic Mouse which I never did figure out under Windows. I just use a Logitech two button USB mouse most of the time. I haven't found any drawbacks to running Win 7 64 bit on the Mac hardware yet. Someday I'll have to get used to OSX. Currently the 500 gig SSD is half Windows and half OSX. The Windows partition is NTFS, so compatible with any NTFS formatted storage you may be using.

JohnMH

Thanks a lot for the info, advice and links provided.mi really do appreciate it.

I am glad to read that windows does work well on a Mac and apart from little hiccups for the mouse, m not overly worried about it as I will be using the iPad to control jrivers via jremote. I may go down this route until the beta version of jrivers is fully implemented and tested and working 100%.

once again, thanks for your advice.

Regards

John

Thanks a lot for the info, advice and links provided.mi really do appreciate it.

I am glad to read that windows does work well on a Mac and apart from little hiccups for the mouse, m not overly worried about it as I will be using the iPad to control jrivers via jremote. I may go down this route until the beta version of jrivers is fully implemented and tested and working 100%.

once again, thanks for your advice.

Regards

John

I went ahead and finally installed Windows 7 (only) and JRiver on my Macbook Pro yesterday to finally leave the frustrating Mac OS (a grossly overrated OS, in my opinion) and the terrible recent iteration of iTunes. Once you've installed Windows, you simply insert your Mac OS DVD into the drive and follow it through the prompts to install all of the drivers needed for the brightness controls, keyboard lighting, camera, etc. The machine now works like a charm. (And for anyone who didn't know this, in order to perform a right mouse click with the single-buttoned MBP trackpad, you simply place two fingers on the pad itself and click.)

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS