IGNORED

Tip for a Steely Dan "Aja" CD rip

As much as I love Steely Dan's "Aja", I would like to make sure that I am going to have a good sounding "Aja" in my computer music collection.

I am planning to find a "like new" copy of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UltraDisc of "Aja" and rip this disc, and use XLD for good measure. I think this will be the best solution -- for one thing, I read a post on this forum earlier today about how so many more 16/44.1 (the CD standard) files tend to sound much better than, say, quite a few 24/96 and 24/192 downloads out there.

I hope that some of you out there have the "Aja" UltraDisc and could attest to my plan to use the UD as a source for this iconic recording. I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

I have it and I used it with XLD. I think the MFSL version is an excellent mastering and I am very happy with the rip and quality of playback from the file. Of course there are several other factors that can effect the quality of each of our playbacks (our individual system setup) including the playback software used. I use Audivrana +

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I have it and I used it with XLD. I think the MFSL version is an excellent mastering and I am very happy with the rip and quality of playback from the file. Of course there are several other factors that can effect the quality of each of our playbacks (our individual system setup) including the playback software used. I use Audivrana +

Glad to hear your input, and I'm intrigued that you used XLD as well in your rip of the MFSL "Aja" UD. When I did all of my CD rips, I actually did not use XLD or even MAX (0.9.2) -- the only time I use MAX is when I am converting a FLAC file to an AIFF, WAV, or Apple Lossless file. When I do my new rip of the MFSL "Aja" UD a little later on in the future, can I just use XLD (and not MAX)? The only reason I have XLD on board (my MacBook Pro) is if, for just in case, I am doing a rip from a somewhat damaged CD -- all of my CDs are in immaculate condition...hence I never needed to use XLD.

Can you please tell me how to use XLD for when I rip the "Aja" UD -- a step-by-step guide would be helpful.

Finally, I am curious if you have ever heard an anomaly with Track 2 ("Aja")---a long time ago I had an "Aja" UD (I no longer own it), and at about 02:15 of track 2, it sounds like about 1/2 a second of the song had been excised (it happens right after the 2nd "...when all my dime dancin' is through, I run to you." When I purchase a new "like new" copy of the UD, I hope this anomaly is not on it, too. Please let me know if you have ever heard of this anomaly.

Again, thanks for your input, and I'd love to get a "new" "Aja" to rip soon.

By the way, I do plan to try a 15-day trial of Audirvana + in April -- I hear it's awesome and that it's great with OSX Snow Leopard (I currently still use Snow Leopard and still use iTunes 10.3.1).

Glad to hear your input, and I'm intrigued that you used XLD as well in your rip of the MFSL "Aja" UD. When I did all of my CD rips, I actually did not use XLD or even MAX (0.9.2) -- the only time I use MAX is when I am converting a FLAC file to an AIFF, WAV, or Apple Lossless file. When I do my new rip of the MFSL "Aja" UD a little later on in the future, can I just use XLD (and not MAX)? The only reason I have XLD on board (my MacBook Pro) is if, for just in case, I am doing a rip from a somewhat damaged CD -- all of my CDs are in immaculate condition...hence I never needed to use XLD.

Can you please tell me how to use XLD for when I rip the "Aja" UD -- a step-by-step guide would be helpful.

Finally, I am curious if you have ever heard an anomaly with Track 2 ("Aja")---a long time ago I had an "Aja" UD (I no longer own it), and at about 02:15 of track 2, it sounds like about 1/2 a second of the song had been excised (it happens right after the 2nd "...when all my dime dancin' is through, I run to you." When I purchase a new "like new" copy of the UD, I hope this anomaly is not on it, too. Please let me know if you have ever heard of this anomaly.

Again, thanks for your input, and I'd love to get a "new" "Aja" to rip soon.

By the way, I do plan to try a 15-day trial of Audirvana + in April -- I hear it's awesome and that it's great with OSX Snow Leopard (I currently still use Snow Leopard and still use iTunes 10.3.1).

I have both MAX and XLD. I started with MAX and converted to XLD. XLD is a product that is kept current. I don't believe MAX has had an update in over two years. For some reason I sort of 'got' how to use XLD better than MAX. I now use XLD for all my encoding (rips) and transcoding (converting FLAC to AIFF).

I use the most current versions of Mac OS, iTunes and Audivana +

with regards to the potential issue on the MFSL Aja I have never noticed it but will give another listen to see if it is there and report back

Frank Zappa

Aja is one of the great recordings...you can't go wrong. I use Max --> AIFF for my CDs with good results...very simple and straightforward process, even adding artwork, etc. On the other hand, I really enjoy my Japanese SACD version of Aja...I have it ripped via a modified PS3 player. I don't have a DSD DAC yet so I have PCM files that sound amazing. I would suspect the MoFi CD to be spectacular, however.

I think I'll put this on now, actually. Enjoy...

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I must admit in all the times I have listened to Aja I have never noticed this problem...BUT, it is there. I checked it several times and on mine it is at 2:08 and immediately follows the word "you". It sounds like a bad tape edit or an error in the mix, a fraction of a second that isn't there, doesn't fit. Beyond that, sounds great to me.

Frank Zappa