IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Mapleshade Audio Clearlink USB (Plus version) - at less than half the price of the Coffee, which I had in my system for months, it was clearly superior. Has some advantages due to not binding power and signal wires close together.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

thanks to all that are giving me ideas.

this afternoon I gave Mapleshade a call and ordered their USB cable and a DoubleHelix Mk2 Plus Powerchord. Thought that it wouldn't hurt, since they seem to have a real 30-day money-back deal. The designer of the cables is extremely confident that his products will "smoke" the competition, so I'll give it a try. I'll be able to hold on to the LD Axis until then, so I'll still have kind of a reference to compare it to.

I also have to opportunity of trying Kimber's B-BUS and Nordost's Blue Heaven so I might report on these in the near future, too.

I'll look forward to enjoying your impressions when you get the chance to write them.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The cost of speakers issue seems like a good topic for a new thread.

Just did my first listening impressions with the Mapleshade USB cable. I let my system warm up playing random songs for quite a while during the morning and then went on to listen to my Test CD tracks (which I normally use to get an idea of what's going on). After that I exchanged the Locus Design Axis for the Mapleshade Clearlink USB with Plus Upgrade.

Here are the first impressions of the Clearlink Plus without burn-in:

• right away quite a bit more spacious and clear than the Axis. Hearing details I had never heard before on very, very familiar tracks.
  • more holographic sound stage
  • felt as if a veil had been lifted (I know it's cliché, but describes it so well)
  • lets me look deep into the recording and the music at the same time. very natural.
  • LF are dry and fast, but are not focused nor detailed. a little bit like a camera that takes very fast photos, but pictures aren't focused nor defined and the colors are washed out. This becomes more evident with orchestra, especially strings and timpani.
  • the lack of definition and timbre in the LFs starts in the lower mids.

I don't know how this cable will evolve, but I'm extremely curious. It easliy topped the HF delicacy and refinement that I so liked in the Axis. I have the feeling that I have a giant killer on my hands. Let's see if the burn-in process gets the LFs right without mudding the mids and highs. Right out of the box I have no urge of putting the Axis back in again, but there have been times were the first impression got on my nerves. Curious about where this is going.

Your impressions very much track mine after the first day. If I remember, Mapleshade recommends a long burn-in period for the Clearlink with Plus upgrade (maybe as much as 200 hours?).

If your experience continues as mine did, yes, the bass does improve and become very nicely detailed. Something that helped improve it further was the Mapleshade power strip and power cord.

My Mapleshade Clearlinks (2) arrived last night. I inserted them into my system, one Clearlink going from my Mac to my iFi iUSB, and one Clearlink going from my iUSB to my uLink.

And........ no sound.

After much experimentation, it turns out that for some strange reason, the Clearlinks only work from my Mac to my iUSB. They will not work from my iUSB to my uLink. All my other USB cables could be swapped in and out at either segment with no issues whatsoever.

With a Clearlink inserted from my iUSB to my uLink, in my Mac sound settings, my Mac does not show my uLink as the device. In other words, my Mac is not detecting my uLink as the sound device if a Clearlink is inserted from my iUSB to my uLink.

If I swap out the Clearlink for any other USB cable, my Mac detects my uLink as the sound device and my uLink appears in my Mac settings as the sound device, and everything works great.

Again, both Clearlinks were inserted from my Mac to my iUSB and both worked without problem so the Clearlinks will work in that spot.

I am totally stumped on this one. Will call Mapleshade today.

Does anyone have ideas on this one? Until I get this sorted out, I would be cautious if anyone is planning on using the Clearlinks with the iUSB.

I got a PM from Alain with a very similar problem (intermittent loss of lock with iUSB and two Clearlinks, no problem with one Clearlink).

It really seems to me that between the fervor for converters and the iUSB, boxen are multiplying like rabbits, and I am not at all sure it's a good thing for ultimate sound quality, aside from any other issues (such as yours and Alain's) it may cause. This is why I asked about comparing the sound with just the Clearlink without the iUSB (assuming those with converters don't wish to or can't get rid of them, so if one box has to go...) to configurations that include the iUSB.

Pierre of Mapleshade thinks it may be an inductance issue with the iUSB/Clearlink.

Any indication whether he would consider modifying the Clearlink in response; whether there might be another fix on Mapleshade's end; or whether it's up to AMR to resolve as far as he's concerned?

I think that it would only make some real sense if the iUSB render using a good USB cable superfluous.

Or vice versa - I'm curious about whether a sufficiently good USB cable can render the iUSB superfluous by providing better sound without the iUSB in the chain.

You could burn it in twice as fast by setting your player on shuffle with all your music, amp off and volume on preamp all the way down, stopping the process every so often to listen.

Hi Blake,

Like Jud mentionned, I have the same issue with my 2 Clearlinks and iUSB. And like you, the best combination I could come with was the Clearlink between my music PC and iUSB, and the iUSB provided cable between the iUSB and my USB to SPDIF Audiophilleo2... One of the 2 Clearlinks allow me to permute this (but not really practical for me), while with the second Clearlink it starts to play then I suddenly get a "white noise". Individually used, there are no issues.

I normally prefer to be minimal with the path of a signal, but since the Audiophilleo gets its power from the PC through USB, it seemed a good idea to try the iUSB, this replacing an Aqvox. I prefer the iUSB, but for that specific purpose, I prefer the Aqvox principle since it does not require 2 cables... I am thinking about something that could allow my to connect directly between the iUSB and Audiophilleo (will need some kind of physical support not to put too much tension on the connections)...

OT: I mentionned to Jud that I would ask Pierre of Mapleshade if they intend to have a "Y" cable ? The Clearlink SQ is very good. Still under "evolution" (breaking in) :)

Alain

Hi, Alain. I understand about the AP using bus power, but I would be curious to see whether the iUSB or fewer boxes and one (Clearlink) USB cable give better sound in reality.

I thought about this, but would the preamp have to be on in order for it to work? I have a beefy and rather power hungry integrated and it will up my energy bill by quite a bit if I leave it on the whole time, even if the volume is all down. It's great in stand-by mode, though. I still might do it, though :D

Just the DAC would need to be on. I was thinking about the way I have things running for burn-in, rather than the minimum setup that would work. I have separates and always leave the preamp on. Nothing in particular regarding the sound, I'm just absent-minded enough that if I turned on the amp and no sound came out, I might panic and think something was really wrong for a moment or two. So I spare myself the angina.

BTW, Michael of Elija Audio offered a great service - he sent both cables on trust for audition plus a 60 day no quibble return policy. John Kenny (JKDAC32) also offers a no quibble return policy. I have had great service from small manufacturers in the last year - the offer good value for money, great support from the very person that built the equipment and a personal touch which you cannot get or expect from large companies. Kudos to the little guy.

Mark

As customers with some fairly particular requirements we can be pretty vulnerable in the age of web commerce, so to know there are people out there like this is reassuring.

today I sat down for about an hour in order to get an idea of how the Mapleshade is doing. I only listened to a few tracks and compared them to the Axis.

here the second impressions:

• mids and highs are still very clear and sound natural and organized, especially in the mids
  • LFs are a little better, but still suffer from a certain lack of definition
  • Axis' upper mids sound a little too forward compared to the Mapleshade giving it a slight brilliance that is a little fatiguing
  • upper highs for the Axis are more extended and refined, resulting in better ambience and decay
  • Mapleshade lacks some 'meat on bones' compared to the Axis

putting this into perspective: the Mapleshade clearly has better mids, but that was the Axis' achilles heel anyway compared to the other cables I tested previously. the fact that both are on fairly the same level regarding HFs makes a good case for the Mapleshade. OTOH I'm not sure that the LFs are going to get significantly better and the Axis wasn't the strongest contender in that regard compared anyway.

The result is a very natural, clear and clean sound, which continues to let me listen to details I hadn't heard before and that let's me look deep into the recording and the music. It still lacks some body and weight, especially texture, timbre and definition in the LFs. I probably have some 150 hours on the Mapleshade, so I'll give it another 50, but I'm not sure that things will change much. Fact is that it is an incredible cable at this price. I wouldn't even bother comparing it to the Coffee. Would be interesting to do a direct comparison to the other cables I auditioned. For now I'll wait for the last hours.

reverendo, appreciate the care you've taken in listening and writing your impressions. I haven't heard the Axis, but your thoughts on the Clearlink track mine pretty closely. I know I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but thought I would do so again in a little more detail: The Mapleshade power cord and power strip helped the bass response in my system. When I mentioned Clearlink's reticence in the bass early in my listening to Pierre, he responded that it wasn't all due to lack of break-in; the power cord and strip would help. He was (as he often tends to be) quite right. Particularly regarding the "lack of definition" you mention, I wrote Pierre a tongue-in-cheek email after installing the cord and strip in which I said "Huh, so the bass actually plays notes instead of just rumbling along underneath everything. Who knew?"

One other thing, reverendo, after looking at your sig: Before the Mapleshade cord and strip, I was using a Z-Cord and Z-Strip (the latter from the first iteration of the Z-Series, and having some of the functions of your Z Duplex). Pierre said he felt the Z-stuff went too far in filtering, to the point that not only the noise, but some of the life was removed from the music. So I substituted the Mapleshade cord and strip for the MIT in the computer audio part of my system, and the results were very positive.

Jud,

I'm sure that power cables can make my bass better (and they have in the past), but I'm trying to compare without altering other variables. fact is that I have a pretty good cable on my current power strip, so IF the Mapleshade powercable betters it (which would be very surprising) the effect would also be felt with the other USB cables, too. BTW, I only got the Powercable because Pierre was rather adamant that it would better probably whatever I've got.

About the MIT stuff: if things get better without it, I'd be a happy camper. I'll try his power cable and will take it from there. If it really betters my current cable I'll probably get a power strip. If I get that far I might consider taking the Duplex Super out of the equation. I must say that if taking it out of my system makes things better I'd be more than glad to be rid of it, but the sound is pretty good ATM.

I'll try to give the USB cable another listen beforeI insert the powercord in the mix. :)

Yep, I pretty well felt the same before trying the Mapleshade power stuff. The MIT power conditioning units were, after all, recommended by Spectral for use with my amp and preamp. Will be interested as always to read your impressions. If the Mapleshade isn't as good, that wasn't entirely unexpected considering the difference in price and the fact that the equipment you already have is excellent. If the Mapleshade betters the sound, well, that's a happy problem to have.

And yep, you're quite right that if the Mapleshade improves the sound it will do so for all cables. But it may do so in areas (bass coherence and extension, general midrange to lower frequency "body") where you feel, if I'm reading correctly, that a couple of otherwise excellent USB cables may be lacking in your system.

OffTopic: just inserted the Mapleshade Double Helix Mk2 PC into the system. LFs sounded better right out of the box, but all the rest sounds worse (veiled mids, highs with no refinement, vocals sound trapped, etc.). Since I have experienced great improvement with power cord burn-in in the past I'll wait and see. I took it out of the system and put it on the router in order for it to burn-in (should have done this a long time ago). Let's see what happens.

I think they generally like their stuff to burn in with music, but power cords and conditioners in particular I don't know (and why would they need to when they're not carrying musical signals?).

Maybe because when playing music the current is not steady and constant, and will vary between music peaks and low passages, as in an Amp. for example.

"Cable burners" works this way: Sending heavy pulses, then low and steady pulses, more heavy pulses, and so on.

Roch

The Mapleshade folks very specifically ask that their cables not be burned in with "cable burners" but with music. So I guess they must feel there's a difference, but I wouldn't know what it is.

I own a AQ Carbon, how long does it take for these to be fully burned in? Mine's had about 30-50 hours use so far. When I first bought it I was unable to hear any differences compared with a stock cable from another DAC. I'm hoping that after its been fully burned in I might actually hear a difference for the better.

If you didn't hear any difference in the first place, I doubt you'll hear much if any after burn-in. I've thought the sound of my USB cables changed after burn-in in that the sound seemed to "fill out," but the basic character of each, including which I preferred, was evident from the get-go.

Well, today I sat down again in order to have a final comparison between the Axis and the Mapleshade Plus and here are my final findings:

• the Mapleshade is overall clearer, cleaner and more spacious than the Axis, which definitely is no small feat taking my previous comparisons into account.
  • the Axis 'might' be a tad more refined in the upper, upper HFs, but I'm not really sure about this
  • the Mapleshade is less defined than the Axis in the LFs and not by a small margin. this mostly affects the timbre of strings. this is not a good sign compared to my previous comparisons, since the Axis was a distant third in this area

For the time being the Mapleshade Plus USB cable will stay, but I'll probably make use of the cableco's library in order to compare it to the WW Silver Starlight, Platinum, the SR Basik Active and the AQ Diamond.

I must say, though, that the price makes this USB cable a great, great buy and that's why it's staying.

Best regards

PS: just put the Double Helix Plus back into the system and it seems that it has gotten much better. I'll try to find some time next week to give it a closer look against my cables.

Thanks once again for all the careful reporting - good stuff to read.

Interesting that the two cables you liked best overall were both perceived as lacking bass or bass definition. Never heard the Axis myself, but have read only good things about it.

Will anticipate reading about your impressions of the power cord in your system. Considering the cost of what you already have, it would be a pleasant surprise if the Double Helix comes close.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I took the time to compare my ASI Liveline Power Cord to the Mapleshade Double Helix MK2 Power Cord with Plus Upgrade. After a lot of back and forth the main differences became rather clear:

• the Liveline has a more spacious sound, with more depth
  • the Liveline has a much cleaner midrange which is easier to notice on good vocal recordings
  • the Liveline has has a more detailed upper midrange and lower HF
  • the Double Helix + has a more textured LF and timbres are better, especially the larger string instruments. therefore makes big orchestras sound better and more real

The differences weren't night-and-day, except for the midrange. This means that the Double Helix Plus is a very good power cord for a very good price, but it wasn't better than my Liveline, though it does cost 3 to 4 times it's price.

For the sake of experimentation I exchanged my Rega Power Cord on my Cantata for the Mapleshade and the results were very positive. I got the detailed and more textured and timbre-accurate LF without losing the midrange clarity and spaciousness. OTOH, although I always thought that the Rega was a giant killer (a colleague sold his 3 Valhalla Power Cords and inserted the Rega in their place preferring their perfomance to the prior) the MapleShade Double Helix Plus still costs 75% more.

The DH+ will probably go back to them.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Best regards

André

I suppose I started the OT by mentioning several times that the Mapleshade power strip and power cord helped improve what I heard with the Clearlink, especially in the low end. And as always, André, good to read your excellent reporting, and looking forward to any impressions of USB cables or other equipment (in the appropriate threads, of course;) you may want to post in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have been following this thread because I am looking for a great sounding USB cable under $300.

See my sig. Half the price of the Audioquest Coffee it replaced.

Please don't be snarky. Especially to someone's first--and reasonably thoughtful post. Sb6 might or might not be new to computer audio and/or he might have decades of listening experience and a really fine system. We need a greater diversity of voices around this place, and I'd hate to turn people off and have them thing that CA is just like AA or, heaven forbid HA.

Cheers,

ALEX

A fine sarcasm (which should not be confused with mere snark) is a wonderful thing on occasion. I personally think there are other reasons why one might not hear a difference besides a system that isn't sufficiently resolving or being a cloth-eared idjit. (For example, if sonic differences stem from differences in susceptibility to transmitting noise, AC and computer power that aren't very noisy might explain a lack of such differences.) Being called on a sweeping general statement (that BTW was fairly dismissive of all those who don't hear differences) with quite mild sarcasm wasn't unduly harsh, it seems to me.

[quote name=acousticsguru;210412

• Unshielded cables sound better if: short' date=' not coiled (nor, preferably, bent), loosely and irregularly braided, not run parallel to other cables (minimum distance 2 inches or 5 cm), and nowhere near e.g. transformers, power cords etc. Forgot to say no pets… I rarely use or recommend them.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

You rarely use or recommend pets?

But seriously...excellent thoughts.

Actually I'm also interested in the recommendation against large / heavy connectors. Personally I avoid them for practical reasons - to avoid bending or breaking the corresponding connector which is often soldered directly to a motherboard. Is there some additional sonic benefit?

Not being an engineer, I won't venture to describe the mechanism, but the recommendation is something the folks who make the cables I have in my system also agree with for sound quality reasons.

kevalin, sounds like the particular cable you got may have a defect. In your position I'd contact the seller, let them know what's occurred, and ask to send it back for a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
hi,

test it before buy it. Not an easy best-worst rule in USB cables.

my suggestion:Tellurium Q, but it is only that...

oscar

Mapleshade Clearlink USB, Plus version. Has a 30 day return guarantee. I like it quite a lot better than the Audioquest Coffee I was using, and it is half the price of the Coffee. I'm not suggesting it instead of the Tellurium, which I haven't heard, but rather as a cable you might add to those you plan to audition.