IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Did you remove the ferrite cores from the sheath? This is the same cable I've been using (1m), but I've removed the cores. Interestingly, the Ag version doesn't have the RF filters.

I really really like
Kimber Cable's USB Cu cable. All silver is a bit too bright for me, and all copper usually sounds a bit dull. The Cu has 6% silver, oversized conductors, and a decent insulation sheath on it. Sounds really great. Fast, accurate, no extended decay, no truncated decay either.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I think the idea with silver plated wires is that due to skin effects conduction primarily occurs along the boundary with if plated in Ag gets you closer to silver performance at near copper pricing.

Nate Mansfield from Kimber suggested removing the ferrite RF filters from the USB cable if you don't have RF issues.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

• 3 weeks later...

I have one, previously using the Kimber Cu (6.1% Silver) which I'm selling on this site. I haven't done any A/B testing between the 6.1% Silver and the 100% Silver. Switched just to go with a shorter run. Still breaking the new cable in actually. At any rate they are both quality cables with great construction. Connectors are both crimped and soldered. I do feel that the shortest length possible is ideal, and if you do go for the silver do what I did and go for a very short run otherwise just save your money and do the Cu on runs 1m and longer. On the Cu cable remove the RF ferrite filters unless you have RF issues. Either way at least you know you have a quality made cable and cool company.

• 1 month later...

Good post. Thanks!

Was never able to do such a nice A/B comparison, but I did appreciate the fit, finish, and correct length of my replacement USB as well.

If I may beg to interrupt with another cable comparison? Yes, I know, terribly bad form and all, please to forgive.

I've got one of these newfangled Meridian Explorer thingies (as recently reviewed by our fearless leader). Jolly nice sounding it is too btw.

Anyways, I wanted a slightly longer usb cable for my purposes and got a half metre Wireworld Ultraviolet A to mini B. Internally on these cables the power line is somewhat separated from the other lines, so I figured since the Explorer is usb powered there might be some advantage there.

So I've been able to compare that to the short Meridian cable that came with the Explorer. Listening via Senn 600s. First impressions: Absolutely no difference. Certainly it does not change the character of the DAC in any way I can detect, it sounds good with either cable. Obviously, being a joyless objective type I wouldn't dare extrapolate this to sweeping statements, and equally I'm interested if anyone has done similar comparisons and *enlighten me*, could be there's some subtleties that I've missed on first listen.

Just for the record, I don't plan on sending the Ultraviolet back - it looks nicely made and does the job I wanted, I'm just not convinced it makes much of a sonic difference to the supplied cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious... Where did you see this recommendation? I'm interested in the BADA.

I noticed that BADA recommends Straight Wire's USB cable, any experiences?

• 8 months later...

Why use 2 USB cables?

Just use your best cable into the ifi, and a hard Female A -> Male B adapter between the ifi and your DAC? This has to be better than any cable, and significantly cheaper...

image.jpg

I think your idea is a good one and I will probably try it. It would defiantly be cheaper than buying two USB cables. Have you compared yours to using 2 USB cables?

I wish! ;) My ifi was ordered over a week ago from Music Direct and still hasn't shipped. :.(

This adapter is marked as shipped today and says it should be here by Th. I'll let you know when this stuff is here is a week or two (hopefully).

Yeah, let's you focus on your main USB cable.

Another thing to try (it's cheap enough hah) is the 6" Belkin from Amazon. So short that I can't imagine much in the way of losses, etc. This was my original intention before I found that adapter. These are only about $7-8 shipped. ;)

Amazon.com: Belkin Components 6in USB Ab Device Daisy Chain for USB Hub: Electronics

What is the deal with the supply of the ifi? Did you have to wait very long for your ifi when you ordered it?