IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

RE:

"The RWA has two power cables, one for the motherboard and one for the SOtM card. The Zuma server has a DC input port on the back for the motherboard and the SOtM card has a DC input on the rear of the case."

Does any one know (or did I miss it in the above comments) the size of the DC input ports on the back of the motherboard and on the rear of the SOtM card? Are they both 5.5mm external diameter and 2.5 mm internal diameter DC plugs?

Thanks.

MG555

I had asked my friend and audio engineer Bascom King about how to get a complete 6.5-9V power supply to use in addition to a 12v supply to power the Zuma. He brought up the possibility of using a separate regulator fed off the 12V supply instead. He wanted to

know what current is drawn from the 12V and 6.5-9V supplies in order to figure out the viability of the separate 6.5-9V regulator fed off the 12V supply.

MG555

16 GB ram ... There is a 32 GB version too. It is twice as much.

Newegg.com - Crucial 16GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module

MEM CRUC|CT2KIT102472BB160B R

$123.99

$123.99

---------------------------

Does any one know if the above memory will work?

Has any one any leads on other memory - eg, from Kingston?

Am I understanding correctly that Chris says the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit will not work when he says:

"Readers who stray from the Zuma design should steer clear of Crucial Ballistix Sport and Corsair Dominator Platinum. This memory works well in other designs just not CAPS v3 Zuma."

I don't understand the first sentence... If I'm not straying from the Zuma design, am I still supposed to "steer clear of Crucial Ballistic memory." That's what the next sentence implies.

Maybe Chris can rewrite this here.

Thanks.

Amazon.com: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.5V 240-Pin UDIMM BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00: Computers & Accessories

MG555

16 GB ram ... There is a 32 GB version too. It is twice as much.

Newegg.com - Crucial 16GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module

MEM CRUC|CT2KIT102472BB160B R

$123.99

$123.99

I spoke to Crucial... They say the BB is ECC whereas Chris' original BD (16gb kit) is non-ECC. Unfortunately the BD is not being made any more. Crucial said that if you call them directly, they have a few kits of BA left, which is closest to the BD, except it's 1.5 volts (vs. 1.35 of the BD). However, Crucial checked the Item model number: BOXDH77EB that Chris recommends for a motherboard and says the BA is completely compatible.

Crucial can be reached at

Toll-free for US & Canada: 800-336-8915

Phone: 1-208-363-5790

Hours (MST): Monday - Friday: 7am - 6pm

MG555

I still need Chris to chime in on this so we'll understand what the memory issue is or is not with Ballistix.

From above:

Am I understanding correctly that Chris says the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit will not work when he says:

"Readers who stray from the Zuma design should steer clear of Crucial Ballistix Sport and Corsair Dominator Platinum. This memory works well in other designs just not CAPS v3 Zuma."

I don't understand the first sentence... If I'm not straying from the Zuma design, am I still supposed to "steer clear of Crucial Ballistix memory." That's what the next sentence implies.

Maybe Chris can rewrite this here.

MG555

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with the 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) -- 2 inches too short to reach the back wall of the case where the outlet has to be. We had to solder another few inches of wire. This could conceivably compromise the sound. I'm curious if this was the case when Chris C tried to build it. Maybe the company shortened the cable in December.

MG555

Re: problem with the picoPSU connecting wire being too short by 2",

I sent Mini-Box and Ituner an email telling them about the problem, and they said the following: "I have checked with our technicians and they cannot make these cables longer. These cables are soldered onto the PCB over in our factory overseas. The only way is to "extend" them as you have done (solder an extra piece of wire on) and it is not something we do locally....

Chris, do you have any other source for a longer wire that will work in the case without having to solder on another piece of wire? Maybe you can urge them to make a longer version.

Andrew of Small Green says he makes his own harnesses and yes, there is a problem with length of the stock wire connector, so that makes Andrew, me and Sebassie (above) who've hit the same problem.

That said, the Zuma sounds great with a Bolder 12 v LPS driving the MOBO and the SOtM double battery power supply

(SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply) driving the SOtM u

MG555

Re: problem with the picoPSU connecting wire being too short by 2",

I sent Mini-Box and Ituner an email telling them about the problem, and they said the following: "I have checked with our technicians and they cannot make these cables longer. These cables are soldered onto the PCB over in our factory overseas. The only way is to "extend" them as you have done (solder an extra piece of wire on) and it is not something we do locally....

Chris, do you have any other source for a longer wire that will work in the case without having to solder on another piece of wire? Maybe you can urge them to make a longer version.

Andrew of Small Green says he makes his own harnesses and yes, there is a problem with length of the stock wire connector, so that makes Andrew, me and Sebassie (above) who've hit the same problem.

You can see on the jpg pix the added wire, the solders covered by black tape.

That said, the Zuma sounds fantastic with a Bolder 12 v LPS driving the MOBO and the SOtM double battery power supply

(SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply) driving the SOtM usb board. Much better than my heavily modded 2010 Mac Mini with LPS, etc.

Great work, Chris!

short wire from the  pico power to the terminal on the case - need another 2 inches.jpg

MG555

Finished the build of my v3 Zuma Saturday night; no big changes from Chris' specs, used a HD-Plex H5.S case and 128 GB on the Samsung 840 Pro because of availability. Installed Win 8 Pro & JRMC 18 last night, everything has gone smoothly so far. Still deciding on a USB DAC and resisting the urge to get a USB/SPDIF converter, so it will be a while before it goes in the rack.

Mike, did you have any trouble with the 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) being too short? As it is on the Streacom FC5WS EVO case.

I emailed the picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit suppliers (at Mini-box.com™, a subsidiary of Ituner Networks Corp) and they said the cable cannot be built/supplied longer than it is because it's made in Asia. They said that you have to do as we did -- solder more wire on before adding the picoPsu to the mobo.

Andrew at SGC said he found the same problem with the Streacom. That makes a number of us. Perhaps Chris can weigh in on this, and how he got around this problem.

But builders should be aware of this problem before starting.

MG555

mikeP, by using the HD-Plex H5.S case, did you avoid the problem Sebassie mentions just above? The 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) is too short, so one should do something about that before adding the picoPSU to the mobo. Ituner.com, the maker of the picoPSU, says the wire cannot be made longer by them and that you have to solder yourself more wire to reach the edge of the Stearcom.

MG555

mikeP. Thanks. But what's the connector on the outside of the HD-Plex H5.S if you run an external LPS: a standard IEC, right?

If so, I'm sure Vinnie of Red Wine could configure that kind of connector for his battery power supply.

Did Chris C. already weigh in on the HD-Plex H5.S?

If not, maybe he could address this and the issue with the Streacom and the short cable issue (12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) not reaching)

MG555

mikeP: which power supply did you order with the HD-Plex H5.S case? The 150W AC-DC FSP Adpater w/160XT PicoPSU Combo?

Does this power supply come with the IEC terminal for the outside of the case?

I'm not sure which case to use for the 2nd Zuma build: What other pro's (vs. con's) made you choose the HD-Plex over the Streacom?

Thanks.

MG555

mikeP: which power supply did you order with the HD-Plex H5.S case? The 150W AC-DC FSP Adpater w/160XT PicoPSU Combo?

Does this power supply come with the IEC terminal for the outside of the case?

I'm not sure which case to use for the 2nd Zuma build: What other pro's (vs. con's) made you choose the HD-Plex over the Streacom?

Thanks.

MG555

The Zuma build sounds fantastic but I would love to see the original description changed so that future builders don't have to read through all the comments to figure out what tweaks are necessary to get the Zuma built following the original design instructions. We've found two issues needing tweaks:

1) 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) -- 2 inches too short to reach the back wall of the case where the outlet has to be. We had to solder another few inches of wire

2) the 4 pin Molex computer power supply cable from the Mobo to the SOtM USB is too short by about 4 inches. We got a male/female extender here:

Amazon.com: 4 Pin Molex Male to a 4 Pin Molex Female Power Cable: Electronics

Anyone else have any tips for the basic build using all Chris' instructions?

Thanks.

MG555