IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

22 hours ago, gbr said:

I have a general question regarding Plex: The Plex homepage can not make it clear to me.

What is the advantage of Plex when using it for music only? Where is the difference to using the lumin app together with minimserver?

And where is the difference to Roon? (I am not using Roon yet, but I have an idea where the advantages of Roon are compared to simply using an UPnP server for streaming, because of all the imported meta data and the combination of local files with streaming providers like qobuz, etc.)

Is anybody experienced with Plex and can do a comparison?

I use Qobuz. I would probably buy a PlexPass subscription to Plexamp if it worked with Qobuz, but the only information I can find suggests that Tidal is the audiophile service that can be integrated into Plex, and NOT Qobuz. Or is there a way to fix that?

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PavelDosko said:

is it possible to use a remote control other than the Lumin product on the Leedh volume control?

I have a Lumin remote. I find it useful, so that I don’t always have to pick up my ipad in order to pause playback, change volume etc.

The Lumin volume control has  an infrared ‘eye’ which has to sit near the Lumin, and its USB connector plugs into your Lumin’s rear port. So even if you could program a programmable remote to work like the Lumin remote, you would still need a suitable infrared receiver to plug into the port on your Lumin streamer.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Dippy said:

Hi Nikos, I'm sorry but I'm new to all this and so I can't give reliable advice.   There is an online manual which seems to be for all Lumin models here:  LUMIN online manual (luminmusic.com) see section on cabling here and scroll down to "D" LUMIN Cabling (luminmusic.com)  This seems to suggest it should be possible.  However there are experts here who can warn about various issues including the advice given to me here by others on my thread.  I didn't know how much power the Lumin could provide to power a usb ssd drive and Peter Lie kindly informed me no more than 0.5A.  Trouble is, I can't easily find out the power requirements of the ssd drives now!  I wasted ages online to Samsung and got messed about because the person on the other end didn't have a clue but strung me along.  Seemed more interested in getting my contact details.

You can of course buy self-powered enclosures for ssd drives. One such type for around £25 from Amazon is the Ugreen one which is very simple to use. So your SSD would be powered by the enclosure, with no power demands on the Lumin. I haven’t tried it with the Lumin USB port so maybe Peter can let us have his thoughts. They are available in the UK, although the attached screenshot is from Amazon.com. I have one, and our mutual friend has one, Dippy! :-)

IMG_4888.png

13 minutes ago, Dippy said:

Hi DB!   I have been trying to find a ssd without a power supply to avoid noise etc. and avoid the need to buy an expensive linear power supply.  Also, I have been put off a bit by the references in the lumin manual e.g. 

Portable USB disks with their own power supply: Dedicated 'desktop' USB disks with their own power supply are commonly compatible with LUMIN. Some, however, are actually SATA disk enclosures and we have found these to be more problematic.

Adapters and Enclosures: USB HDD enclosures (containing a SATA disk) and SD / Compact Flash / TF / etc adapters are not normally compatible with LUMIN.

Concerns understood. I think the Ugreen is worth a try, though.

• 3 months later...