IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Hi Folks. I am new to the forum and have had my Lumin for about two months now. I just updated the Lumin app running on my iPad to v3.0.0 and now all I t seems to do is crash out and has to be restarted. Has anyone experienced this sort of operation with the new Lumin app? JRemote and Kinsky seem to be working ok.

Take care and enjoy your day!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Hi and thanks for the response. The app does not crash immediately so it gets past the startup screen ok. It only crashes (closes down by itself) randomly and frequently when it attempts to import albums or play songs. For instance, when I tell it to look at Minimserver or even JRiver Media Center, there are 576 or so albums. When the import count gets to, let's say, 35 of the 576, the application will automatically close and needs to be restarted. Additionally, when I try and put an album into the playlist for my Lumin, the application will shut down and need to be restarted. JRemote, which I use to control JRiver, does not experience any sudden and unexpected app closures. Hope this clarification helps.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Thanks for the detail! What is your iPad hardware and iOS version? Any iPad except the first generation should work well. Anyway, please send an email to [email protected] for direct support.

Thanks!

I sent a couple of direct emails but no response. Version 3.0.0, for me at least, is not useable. How can I revert to 2.0.7?

It could be my system but, because the system works OK with 2.0.7, I think something is amiss with 3.0.0.

Thank you!

Hi and thank you for the response. I believe you nailed the issue I am having. I have two Qnap NAS systems with several UPNP servers each including Twonky. Turning them off stabilized the Lumin app.

My instance of Minimserver is running on an Asus Vivo PC and I would really like to keep JRiver MC running concurrently. Also, Win 8.1 appears to have some form of server running as it is detected by the Lumin app. I'll need to see if I can disable that as we'll.

Again, thanks for the assistance!

One other question about the Lumin app. I can't seem to find documentation on a function called "Autolock". It can be set to disable, while playing or while charging. I assume it's got something to do with what the iPad's up to but am not sure. What exactly are you auto-locking? Also, if there is a link to a definitive what's what with the Lumin app I would appreciate a point-out. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks Distinctive! I appreciate the info.

Yes, the Lumin app is stable with both JRiver MC and Minimserver running on the little ASUS box.

Not being an IT wizard myself, where do you recommend I start looking? Thanks for any help you can give.

I am pretty sure my network infrastructure is ok because the simple fact of turning off the media servers (Twonky) on the two QNAP NAS systems resolved my Lumin app stability issues. In any event, my Lumin is connected through a single switch to my router and the two QNAP NAS systems connect directly to the router. The iPad is connected wirelessly to the same router.

Yup, perfectly solid Lumin app operation after shutting down Twonky on both of my NAS systems. I used to develop air traffic control software for a living and would deploy software that, in a test environment, worked perfectly. Deliver it to the field and you'd be amazed at all the "latent defects" that popped up. The maturation process of any piece of software or hardware system requires that glitches be identified, documented, hopefully they can be repeated and rise to the level of concern necessary to be fixed in a future revision.

My concern here is that there is no robust way of reporting and tracking bugs but I could be wrong.

PSME wanted my UDID for a version of the Lumin app that apparently can trap crashes and other issues. I hope I am able to help.

On another topic, any chance of Pixel offering an upgrade path to the S1 version. My gut says no but who knows.

I received the version of the Lumin app with the trap that would automatically capture info in a log file and request to send an email when the app was restarted after a crash. I enabled Twonky on both of my NAS systems and immediately the app begin to crash. After about 10 crashes and sending the resulting emails, I turned off Twonky on one of my QNAPs, the TS-879Pro. The crashes stopped and the app remains stable with one instance of Twonky running on the TS-459 Pro II. (update: The opposite is true as well. With Twonky running on the 879 and stopped on the 459 and the Lumin app is stable. Turn both instances of Twonky on and the app crashes.)

Thanks to PSME and I hope the info I sent you will assist in troubleshooting this matter.

Also, a new version of Lumin f/w is out there, 5.05 I believe, and is supposed to fix a click/pop issue on the S1 when playing DSD files. I have pop/click issues on my A1 that appear on certain DSD albums when a new song starts when I use JRiver. Minimserver does not have this issue. 5.05 didn't help with my issue but it may be something specific to JRiver MC.

Cautiously optimistic!

PSME sent me an email saying they found the bug in the Lumin app and that they had fixed the problem. I have been running the new test Lumin app for over 6 hours now without a glitch with both Twonky servers, JRiver MC-19, and Minimserver running without a single hickup. I remain cautiously optimistic!

Thanks PSME and everyone here, Bloodwound in particular, for hopefully getting to the bottom of this!

PSME,

Thanks for the heads-up and the effort to improve this app. It appears to do just what you say as it loads faster and has not crashed so far!

I like the Lumin player so much that I've upgraded to the S1 version. Great sound!

Lucky guy :-) I am happy for you

did you noticed an increase in SQ between the A1 & the S1 ?

If yes, then is the improvement with all files or only for DSD ?

How will you describe the sound of the S1 V/S the A1 ? Less analog ?

thanks

Alas, I spoke a bit too soon as the order was placed on Friday and it's three days out from California to the east coast. I'll answer your question in detail after I've received and played with the S1.

• 2 weeks later...

I did receive the S1 and was only able to spend about an hour with it before going on travel. I can say with certainty that the DSD128 sound is superbly gratifying particularly with respect to the almost holographic 3D sound stage that I was experiencing.

I've been told that the unit needs from 400 to 500 hours before it finally settles in and, with that in mind, the unit is operating unattended to "quicken" the burn-in process.

Aside from learning that the unit will not play FLAC files above 192Khz, I am quite happy with my initial listening experience. I am hoping that playing DXD FLAC (352.8Khz x 24bit) is not a hardware limitation but something that can be handled with a firmware upgrade.

New review from Joël Chevassus (who reviewed the A1 previously)

6moons audio reviews: Lumïn S1

To say that he liked it is an understatement.

Now, if only there was a way for A1 owners to purchase the S1 power supply.

An excellent and we'll-written review to be sure. I am predicting that the capability of my ears to resolve any further differences in sound quality above that provided by the S1 has been eliminated and this device will be with me for life.

Someone compared Lumin SQ with USB/SSD and NAS. When I have to used my PC as a NAS and comparing with USB/SSD is a huge difference. I need to decide if buy or not a "pure" NAS but I´m affraid if USB/SSD is a better solution.

When using my A1, I could not detect a sonic difference between a USB connected SSD or my QNAP NAS.

Thx everyone. I changed (from windows XP) OS to Windows Server and the things change a lot...I need to listening more

That's interesting. I wouldn't have though so but keep us posted, ok?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks. Does anybody know if you can set the IP address of the Lumin S1 (or A1 for that matter) to an address of your own choosing? Thanks in advance and have a good day/evening.

Chris and Distinctive:

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll do some checking into what I can do with my ASUS RT-AC68U and see what's what.

Mine looks pretty much the same. The Lumin is the only Ethernet connected device on my network that I can't manually assign an IP address on. Therefore, I am hoping that if I try and enabled manual assignment of an IP via the router to a single device, such as the Lumin, DHCP will continue to work and then I will not have to assign all IP addresses via this methodology.

It works as both you and Chris C. said it would. Thanks again for upping my network and router knowledge base.

I recently updated my iPads to IOS8 and, as expected, the functioning of the Lumin app (latest) appears to have been affected. Trying to edit the play list, regardless of the number of items in the list, causes the Lumin app to close down immediately. This is repeatable 100% of the time as well.

Looking forward to the next release of the app.