IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Chris,

Great design, as always. And i will second the feedback on Vinnie and Red Wine. I've known him for years and owned a few of his pieces (still own a custom ps he built for me for a Squezebox 3 I use in another system in the house). There is no nicer person in audio; I am glad you are supporting his great and high value efforts.

Question: as you know I am using a very similar setup except for the 830 SSD (instead of the 840) and 2 2GB modules instead of one 4GB. Do you think that extra consumption pushes my CAPS V2+ past the Red Wine ps specs?

thx

Ted

I'm a little surprised this build and the forthcoming Carbon build doesn't use the mSata configuration like Ted's V2+. Too much power apparently but thought it did have some great advantages. Carbon will also use the same Sotm card? Thoughts?

My CAPS V2+ initially used the Samsung 830 SSD (predecessor to Chris's 840 low power SSD recommendation). He and I discussed mSATA and I added it, but don't use it personally. I have many folks that built the V2+ with it (mSATA), though, and don't experience any power issues.

Wow Diogenes - Did someone tick you off this morning? The BL is more than you describe. I wouldn't build a battery power supply and expect better results than the BL just as I wouldn't build other audio components and expect better results. That's just me however. I like the look of the BL and the ease with which is operates. If I wanted a bunch of wires that look like a home made bomb I may go for some DIY battery solution.

Join the club, Chris. I battled him on the "the CAPS V3 Topanga is nothing but a bunch of" posts on another CAPS thread here, and reminded him of your goals and objectives, especially expandability and future-proofing.

Kevalin,

I've tried the SOtM intelligent battery pack and it works as advertised (and Jesus is offering a discount on my CAPS thread). However, there is always more than one way to skin this cat, and Chris's approach with Vinnie, to create a dual rail battery solution, is also a good very good one, and also takes care of the Hynes-powered mobo side of the equation in my CAPS example. If you order from Vinnie, the SOtM battery is not needed; it's redundant.

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your tireless effort to bring the computer audiophile community one step closer to the absolute sound (whatever that may be)! Just a quick question for you and perhaps others in the forum who may have an informed perspective: when choosing a CAPS model, should any consideration be given to the sonic pluses or minuses of storing music on the local SSD vs. streaming from a NAS? Based on your description above, it sounds like you spend most of the time playing music from your NAS, but I'm not sure if this means you stream from your NAS or transfer files from your NAS onto the local CAPS SSD and then playback. Has your personal listening experience suggested that streaming and local playback yield the same sonic results? Your perspective on this would be greatly appreciated as it will greatly influence whether I (and perhaps others) build a CAPS with more or less local storage capacity.

Many thanks!

Blake

Chris (AND I) do neither with our Synology NAS's. We simply use them as a file server on the network, pointing J River to them as if they were local folders. No streaming, and no moving to local SSD, etc. Just use the files on the NAS.

Thanks Ted. I really appreciate your prompt feedback. If I'm not mistaken, is it fair to say that your CAPS2+ is very much akin to Chris's CAPS3 Lagoon? I too have a Synology server so it sounds like there really wouldn't be any sonic benefit of building one of Chris's pricier CAPS3 models that have more local storage since I already own a NAS. Would you agree? Also, do you find that JRemote populates the cover art, etc. quickly on atom based computer?

Thanks again

Battles,

Hi. My CAPS V2+ is a precursor to the Lagoon design (since Chris helped me on my design), but mine requires a bit more power due to the 2 bars of memory (vs one) and the 830 SSD vs the 840. If you went mSATA then the power is even more. My Wesena case is larger, too, as I don't take advantage of the PCIe riser idea. The Lagoon would be a great choice for you, the NAS user. However, I am not privvy to the Carbon or Zuma designs forthcoming, so not sure if they include more than Chris's mention of the new local storage options; I'm sure they do.

Incidentally, those with better ears than mine maintain that files stored on a NAS gives inferior SQ to a locally attached disc (with SOtM filter). I'm not interested in a NAS option and prefer a local disc (with regular backup) for several reasons.

Chris and I both have pretty good ears. My Synology NAS is gigabit-ethernet attached, is acoustically and electrically isolated (unlike some local hdd) and sounds as good or better than local Oyen digital drives, etc.. Those folks who report poor NAS sound often try streaming and don't mention it, or have very slow NAS units. Not all are created equal.

Quest, yes we've discussed this at length in NAS threads, so i didn't bother to expand. I will though; the entire chain needs to be ready for large files (such as 24/192 and DSD) by making sure the cabling is at least Cat5e, the router is truly gigabit-ready, and the NAS drives are hopefully enterprise-class (i.e ready for 24/7 operation). And reduce or eliminate unnecessary switches between the NAS and server. My NAS is in the next room from my music room and has a 6 ft ethernet to the router, then router is probably 25-30 ft run to the CAPS, going through one wall plate. As I tried to put it simply, all NAS's (even Synology) are not created equal.

Since my last overly-confident post :) I questioned my sanity and re-ran some listening tests with music on both my internal SSD and a good little Oyen Digital locally connected hdd. The fidelity was identical and indistinguishable on the NAS and Oyen, and I felt, frankly, that the SSD-based music was a little harsh (maybe mobo noise). We're talking splitting hairs, though. I think I hear more differences in formats (wav vs flac wars) than these, so I will continue to rest comfortably that my NAS is by no means a sonic hiccup, let alone liability.

Ted,

you say not all synology nas drives are created equal. Is it fair to say any model with a + sign is ideal and any you know specifically to avoid? Thanks

Sorry, I simply meant that Synology NAS's can be set up inefficiently too. I am not a Synology guru, so no idea which are better than others, sorry.

Is it the case that you are wiring the NAS to the router (wireless or not) and then wiring the router to the CAPS system? If so, what you're telling me is that alternative external connections (non-Ethernet) are more problematic, and not recommended in this configuration. And it also sounds like nobody is for streaming.

I'd consider wired connections if my ASUS router were anywhere nearby (upstairs today, with both Synology and Sonus directly connected to the router).

Please corroborate and comment.

Yes, my NAS is part of my gigabit home LAN, and is wired, not wireless. The only wireless aspect of my music system is iPAd remote control with jremote(browsing).

This is what makes the world go 'round, I guess. Cuz I dislike ASIO4all; it sounds like what it is, an emulator. It sounds harsh to me. I've run J River WASAPI-Event style in Win 8 from day one and it is miles (lightyears might be a bit much) ahead sonically. Your mileage OBVIOUSLY may vary. !

• 2 weeks later...

ted_b - how is your NAS electrically isolated? I have my audio system on a dedicated AC circuit, but are you doing anything more elaborate? I see us all needing battery supplies for the NAS boxes as well :)

Without getting pedantic, I simply meant that a NAS in another room, on another separate circuit (and not near the audio one in the mains box, nor on the same side), and connected only via ethernet, is both electrically isolated (from direct circuit back door stuff), as well as acoustically (i.e you don't hear it nor does it vibrate with the music). Your contention that all things electrical are susceptible is theoretically sound, I guess, but practically moot IMO.