IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Thanks for the great design tips! I was wondering if I get a JKDAC32 which is battery powered with own power supply... If I switch off the SoTM card USB power, will I negate the need of having a second rail psu to the card directly? Right now I'm only planning on having one upgraded Paul Hynes PSU rail to the Intel DN2800mt... Appreciate any insight from the forum.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hi all, probably a remedial question but can someone explain why 12v is recommended for the intel board when then spec range is much wider? Also, why the attention to a couple watts on the masts vs sata? Is it linked to audio quality, longer time between charges on the RWA PS? Lower power equals lower power noise? Just trying to understand some of the basics as I already have a msata and also trying to spec my PS in a more thoughtful way.

many thanks.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hi all, probably a remedial question but can someone explain why 12v is recommended for the intel board when then spec range is much wider? Also, why the attention to a couple watts on the masts vs sata? Is it linked to audio quality, longer time between charges on the RWA PS? Lower power equals lower power noise? Just trying to understand some of the basics as I already have a msata and also trying to spec my PS in a more thoughtful way.

many thanks.

I mean mSata versus Sata SSD... typo.

Equipment:

• 3 weeks later...
For those interested on some feedback on the Lagoon. After buying all the exact parts and putting it together 100% per Chris's instruction I am happy to say....................I'm overjoyed at the sound it is producing. Even my wife was shocked by the improved sound from old PC (using the Sotm Pcie) to new Lagoon with Sotm Pcie installed.

At this stage I am still tweaking the settings but after swinging through Adele and Eric Clapton Unplugged I eventually settled in for some more precise listening with the 24/96 version of Porcupine Tree's - Lightbulb Sun. I have heard this CD 50 times atleast and today I just kept hearing stuff I had never heard before.

Instruments/vocals were crystal clear and 'oh so' precisely pinpoint in Depth and soundstage. Drummer Harrison never sounded so good, bouncing all over every track. Everything just seemed to snap into focus and I suspect all the old favorite Albums will be on high rotation in due course.

I'm also happy that I gave it a go to put my own Lagoon together. I had a few little hiccups along the way but it was a great learning curve for my first PC build and install.

Thanks for all all your efforts Chris.

Regards Cazzesman

Thanks for the update! Which Power supply are you using?

Equipment:

• 9 months later...
By the way, anyone know the warranty on the SotM board? I've ping'ed Small Green Computer (as I bought the Lagoon from them). Meanwhile, this was a fortuitous failure. Switched over to running my 2 year old MacBook Pro with JRMC 18 instead. Lo and behold it sounds quite a bit better than the Lagoon. Like going to the eye doctor and getting fit with a new prescription. Move focus, clarity, instruments and voices are truer in tonality, spacial position, clarity, etc. I suppose it's a combination of hardware and the Mountain Lion OS and it's drivers. Who knew...

If you were using a laptop brick to power your Lagoon that could also contribute to the difference with your Mac... I've been extremely impressed with my caps which got even better after I upgraded the power supply.

Equipment: