IGNORED

Did I check the correct iTunes library boxes?

I'm still a relative noob to iTunes, and in preparing to back up my iTunes (10.7) library for the first time,* i read several articles saying to first go to File > Library > Organize Library and check the two boxes, "Consolidate Files" and "Reorganize files in folder 'iTunes Music'". I checked both boxes, clicked on "OK" and expected to see some kind of progress bar indicating that the consolidation and reorganization was taking place. But nothing happened.

Then, I reopened the File > Library > Organize Library box and found that the "Consolidate Files" box was unchecked and the "Reorganize files in folder 'iTunes Music'" was shaded out. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Note that I have fewer than 300 "songs" (I call them "movements"!) in my library, so perhaps the consolidation and reorganization just took a split second.

*While this will be the first time I've backed up my library in a separate external hard drive, note that I have been keeping a bootable clone of my hard drive with SuperDuper, so I haven't been unprotected. I'm just trying to achieve a redundant backup.

Thanks for all the help I get from reading this forum.

-Bob