IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Topanga

I emailed Andrew to get his confirmation (that its likely a typo). And yes, Win 8 64 bit installs easily on that mobo; I never really noticed any video issues with my CAPS V2+ (headless maintenance only) so the default driver is quite fine. That being said, I'd follow Chris's recipe for Topanga, especially early on.

One thing to consider is that Win 8 is presently only $40 vial download.

Just make sure you do a clean install, not an upgrade (for those reading this with an existing server). Have the download create an ISO (download option) and load it to a bootable USB drive.

Thanks Ted, Is there a way to do a clean install with an upgrade version? In the past, some ugrades only asked you to put the install S/N of the prior verison or disc. I have an old version of XP lying around and would hate to miss out on the cheap upgrade download promo going on.

I will find the article that helped me, but no, it does not ask for another s/n or copy, as long as you do a clean install with the ISO and a WinUSB bootable USB thumb drive (WINusb link in my CAPS V2+ thread).

One advantage Topanga has over previous is that it can be powered by a linear power supply. In this case a Pyramid 12v (13.8v) easily found on Amazon for ~$25 should do the job. Even better diy options are plentiful and with this relatively low power consumption - much cheaper and easier to implement.

If I built this server ditching that SMPS would be the very first thing I would do to improve sound quality.

Yeah, my Hynes SR7 is a huge improvement over a cheap Parts Express one I tried on my Caps V2+ (same mobo), as I waited for a dc plug adapter in the mail.

I’ve been reviewing “Topanga” and it looks to me that it’s just an NM20 chipset with a N2800 atom. The only special magic I can see is the considering you’re assuming that your music is on a server, an unnecessary SSD. The motherboard is nothing special. The Atom is slow. The IO on the chipset is slow, and the disk is used twice: to boot the os and then to load the recommended jRiver. That’s not much computer for 500 bucks. How about this as an alternative: a Foxconn nT-i1200. It’s a fraction of the size, it’s got USB3 and WiFI and it costs less than 200 bucks.

Foxconn PRODUCT : NanoPC Barebones: Details

Really? You come on here and put down Chris's design without hearing it? What aspects of the NanoPC Barebones (price for fully ready system?) sonics do you like better than the Topanga? Chris designed for sonics, so I'd need to know specifics Diogenes? Bass control? Soundstage? Midrange tone and timbre? Holographic imaging? What type of music have you played on it? What does it connect to, what type of DAC? Have you had any issues with the Barebones-to-DAC interface? I'm surprised the wifi doesn't cause some EMI issues..and USB3? Have you gotten it to do better music than USB2? If so, would like to know...I haven't heard many USB3 DACs.

The reason I ask all these questions is because they are EXACTLY what Chris is doing back at Connaker Labs..making sure the CAPS design produces amazing music without hiccups. I'd need to know you've done the same. Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Topanga version could be easily upgraded by addition of the SoTM USB card and, perhaps, a firewire controller card for library storage - something definitely not avaliable on the Foxconn NanoPC.

Yes, but you'd need a case that can hold the vertical PCIe cards. As the CAPSV2 progressed I "designed" a later version called the CAPS v2+ which uses the Wesena case (SOtM card, also uses same mobo, same mSATA SSD, etc but uses 64 bit Windows). Chris had a lot to do with its design, as he started looking at the DN2800 mobo and the mSATA card, and told me about it. There might be other cases that could use a PCie adapter so the cards were horizontal, etc but dunno.

As for Chris’s evaluation lab: I don’t know his selection or evaluation process. I know about them because our tech group had this dream of stringing a couple of thousand of the Foxconns as an mpi based HFT engine. The initial evaluation included comparing a half dozen alternatives including stuffing motherboards into boxes. Nothing in Chris’s discussions mentioned he took that approach. My personal experience with the Foxconn is that the dream failed so we all had a chance to pick up a few before the rest were thrown out. Mine now sits as a gateway to watch Hulu+ and Amazon Prime movies. Its HDMI port pumps out perfect 1080p, which takes much more bandwidth and cpu processing than audio.

I understand, but again I ask the question: how does the Foxconn Barebones sound for audiophile audio? It is that aspect that is kinda important, and one where it seems you have not explored, yet dismiss Chris's design. I am confused as to your stance. i realize there are other more powerful less expensive boards out there, and yours looks nice for what you are doing, but you've yet to explain why it's a better audiophile music producing setup than Chris's., albeit a few bucks cheaper I'm really not trying to be pedantic, just trying to understand what you are saying the Barebones will do for hi-quality silent background hirez 2 channel audio. Those are table stakes.

My biggest issue with it (other than Diogenes never hearing it with audiophile music intentions) is that it looks to be not at all expandable; i.e how would one hang a SOtM card on it? Chris didn't throw together his design, he put some thought into it. I'm not sure Diogenes read his objectives intro. The Barebones fits like one out of many objectives, fails the rest.

• 2 months later...
With the DN2800mt board, the video sucks with the 64bit version...

I run 64 bit Windows (see my CAPS V2+ thread; same computer really) and find the video graphics fine (I only use it for maintenance via VNC or remote desktop; it's a headless music server :) )