IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Thanks Miska. I managed to get it running by switching to ASDM7, where it was stable even at DSD256. However, due to the board or my setup, I've got what I think is a ground noise problem. (See http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/grok-linux-help-me-make-naa-cute-little-board-29427/#post571113). Still, I consider the experiment a success as "proof of concept," and can hear good reproduction through the noise.

Turns out it's likely not ground noise. At another member's suggestion (thanks, lmitche!), I ran the BBGW from a cell phone charger battery, so the only physical BBGW connection to the rest of the system was USB out to a Regen connected to the iFi. Still got the noise. I'm thinking it may be the activity of the wireless receiver; wondering if the board's provision for USB over Ethernet (even though it wasn't being used at the time) may mean there is a connection between the wifi and USB sections of the board.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'll try getting rid of some services on the BBGW, and meanwhile I have an old BeagleBoard xM I dug out of the closet that I'll set up with wired Ethernet and see if it does any better.

Looking around at some other stuff to try, any advantage/disadvantage for NAA purposes between Cubox-i and Cubox-i4Pro?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Help Please

I am trying to install HQPlayer NAA onto a NanoPi Neo

I have installed the Armbian distro

Downloaded and installed https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/stretch/networkaudiod_3.4.0-32_armhf.deb

The installation runs and a message comes up saying "configuring networkaudiod"

The end user license says "Click I agree" but no Iagee , or cancel , button is evident.

Try pressing the Tab key to see if anything is highlighted, or Enter to see if that works to accept.

I think the Cubox-i2 will handle NAA duties just fine [emoji6]

I noticed a couple of things:

- I believe Miska has an -i4Pro, but don't know if that necessarily means he thinks it's any better for NAA duties.

- Cubox has a quad-core model called the CuboxTV that can be had for $10 more than the -i2. Would the quad-core have any advantage over the -i2 for NAA purposes, or would the extra stuff built into the board possibly make it noisier/worse for that purpose? Or are they pretty much the same?

The NAA is a clock domain crossing FIFO buffer -- which means that it takes in a TCP/IP stream, buffers and outputs to an ALSA device -- often a USB device. So the hardware and OS have an Ethernet driver onto which the TCP/IP stack is layered. The networkaudiod reads from this and sends bits to the ALSA stack which has its own device drivers. That's pretty much it (except for control functions). I am surmising this and Miska is of course free to correct any of my assumptions with the facts :)

In any case no need for high powered processing! I think any of the above will work and generally the simpler the better. There will be SQ effects from the hardware designs themselves so no rule that all tiny low powered and cheap boards will sound good but also no rule that they won't.

What I've seen in further research that may be the decider is that for $10 more the CuboxTV has nearly 5 times faster nominal Ethernet capability. (GigE stuff but limited to 467mbps nominal throughput by onboard message bus for -TV, vs 10/100 E for -i2.) For 10 bucks I like the idea of a much bigger margin before the little box's network throughput becomes a factor for, say, DSD512.

On the other hand, all this could evaporate if I hook up the BeagleBoardxM and just get music, no noise.

This is the device I am waiting to be released: https://www.solid-run.com/product/clearfog-base/

Could consider replacing on board switching chip with 3v3 and 1v8 linear, as well as upgraded caps but has that built in SFP module for a very attractive price.

Room treatments for headphone users

Pretty amazing it has an SSD on board for that price. Couple of questions I'm curious about:

- Wonder if the opto-electronic conversion of the SFP could be a noise source. (Guess I'd use regular Ethernet, then.)

- Wonder what the availability of Linux distros would be for this (i.e., how soon could I install Debian Stretch and make an NAA out of it? :) ).

- What components would be needed to connect the SFP to a copper Ethernet router, and how much would they cost?

This is the device I am waiting to be released: https://www.solid-run.com/product/clearfog-base/

Could consider replacing on board switching chip with 3v3 and 1v8 linear, as well as upgraded caps but has that built in SFP module for a very attractive price.

Room treatments for headphone users

Interesting, especially with the SFP!

I'm seeing that the SoM on the ClearFog is supported by Linux kernel versions 3.x, but Stretch (required by Miska's networkaudiod for Debian) uses 4.5 and 4.6 kernel versions. So unless (1) the ClearFog is updated to work with 4.x kernel versions, or (2) Miska makes an image for the ClearFog, it wouldn't immediately be suitable as an NAA. I'm sure it would work for lots of other fun stuff, though. :)

Jud,

To answer the only question to Jabbr that I am capable of answering, an FMC (fiber to copper) cost about $25 and then replace the wall wart with something cleaner (I use Anker battery).

https://www.amazon.com/MC220L-Converter-1000Mbps-supporting-mountable/dp/B003CFATL0/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2530652011&ie=UTF8&qid=1471012163&sr=8-1&keywords=mc220l

I'd also want an optical Ethernet cable then, right?

Yes, they are cheap.

LC/LC Multimode OM3 Fiber Patch Cable

You'll also need a couple SFPs, as the board looks to simply have the SFP receptacle (like the FMC).

Genuine Cisco SFP 10g SR Transceiver Module | eBay

Sorry to get down in the weeds (can't help myself): Any reputed advantage to single mode?

Note sure if this matters in practice but here is a nice definition of multimode:

Multimode fiber optic cable has a large diametral core that allows multiple modes of light to propagate. Because of this, the number of light reflections created as the light passes through the core increases, creating the ability for more data to pass through at a given time. Because of the high dispersion and attenuation rate with this type of fiber, the quality of the signal is reduced over long distances. This application is typically used for short distance, data and audio/video applications in LANs. RF broadband signals, such as what cable companies commonly use, cannot be transmitted over multimode fiber.

Apparently multimode will not work reliably with 10G Ethernet when that comes in, so if not wanting to re-buy equipment to work with those computers, single mode would be the "future proof" purchase.

Looks like there is a Debian distro for the Armada 38x ... I plan on using that and loading NAA ...

I could well be wrong, but it didn't look to me like the Debian distro for the Armada (kernel version 3.x) would be compatible with Debian Stretch (kernel version 4.6), which Miska's network audio daemon requires.

I don't think it is at least any worse than standard Ethernet. And you get full optical isolation.

For copper Ethernet links to critical places I configure ports to use 802.3az to lower the used transmit power.

Best is to use a switch with SFP ports. This allows you to pick a transceiver module best suited for your use case and cabling.

My 24-port HP smart switch has two SFP ports.

Thanks Miska, very good information.

It turns out the BeagleBoard xM I pulled out of a closet is putting out much less noise than the BBGW. There is a trace of noise left; I am hoping an adapter that lets me run the BBXM from a battery and a network isolator I have coming in the next week will get rid of this last trace. If not, well, there's the Cubox. :)

What kind of DAC are you using? I've been using BB White/Black and xM without any problems...

Hi Miska - iFi micro-iDSD. I don't think this is the problem. My guess is the remaining noise is ground noise. Today I received the network isolator and put it into the downstairs system, not using the NAA, and my wife immediately said "I don't know what you did, but it sounds really good." (And it does. :) )

I want to wait until the adapter comes and I can run the BBXM from a battery before trying it again. I'm fairly sure that will clear it up.

I don't know how you could have ground noise with ethernet, unless you are using shielded cable. Because all the signals go through transformers. That's one of the key points with NAA.

For ethernet, the transformer isolation is necessary because otherwise grounding and related noise in large office buildings would become nightmare and real danger for the equipment (think about kilometers of CAT5/CAT6 cabling around the building).

But you could look for alternate routes from the other end. Is there a ground link from the PSU - BBB - USB - DAC - audio gear? Are there one or more mains connections with earth pin?

One problematic example case from past:

- computer has 3-pin mains connection

- DAC is not isolated so ground goes through

- audio system is floating, so all mains connections are 2-pin

- TV is connected to the audio system through HDMI

- Cable-TV coaxial cable has earth connection through the shield (TV internally connects this to a common ground that also goes to the HDMI connector)

Now the link was ready and lot of hum/noise. Problem was solved by putting a ground-breaker to the cable-TV coaxial cable... Cost - 10€.

I am supposing the ground noise with the NAA is from the PSU, which is why I'm waiting for the adapter that will allow me to use the battery.

Sorry if you've said this, but I can't see it in the thread: what sort of network isolator, and where in the system?

Hi Craig. This is *not* (so far) with the NAA in the system. It's a Baaske Medical network isolator, and the configuration is:

eero router -> Blue Jeans cat6a -> Baaske isolator -> Blue Jeans cat6a -> MacBook Pro Ethernet input

Can't win for losing, it seems. I've got the BBXM hooked up to Ethernet with the Baaske isolator inline, and powered from the battery. I can no longer hear noise so far as I can tell, but I say "so far as I can tell" because networkaudiod now does this in a few seconds after I start the music:

● networkaudiod.service - Network Audio Adapter daemon

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networkaudiod.service; enabled; vendor pr

eset: enabled)

Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-08-17 11:45:01 EDT; 5min a

go

Main PID: 4646 (networkaudiod)

CGroup: /system.slice/networkaudiod.service

└─4646 /usr/sbin/networkaudiod

Aug 17 11:49:21 arm networkaudiod[4646]: [/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4646): ALSA

period sizes: 23 - 65536

period time: 100000

period size: 17640

engine started at: 5644800 (5644800)

Aug 17 11:49:21 arm networkaudiod[4646]: [/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4646): enter

streaming mode

engine running...

engine stop request...

Aug 17 11:49:31 arm networkaudiod[4646]: [/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4646): push to queue timed out!

Aug 17 11:49:31 arm networkaudiod[4646]: [/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4646): begin disconnection

Aug 17 11:49:31 arm networkaudiod[4646]: [/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4646): ALSA

I've tried with DSD256 and here with DSD128 - exactly the same result.

It would be good to also check the HQPlayer side log for any hints what is going wrong.

And then check that playback in general is starting up fine, by trying playback with aplay.

Life is good now. For some reason when HQPlayer starts, the BBxM loses its connection with the iFi. All that is necessary is to unplug and replug something to get the BBxM to "see" the DAC with HQPlayer running. (In my system the easiest thing to do is unplug and replug power to the Regen between BBxM and iFi.) As I set up VNC to control HQPlayer on the desktop upstairs while listening to the main system downstairs, this is now easy and does not involve running up and down steps. :)

With the BBxM running from a battery and the Baaske isolator on the Ethernet connection between router and BBxM, there's now no noise, and the sound is very nice. (There was noise without the isolator, even running the BBxM from battery. Don't know why, but there was.) Can run at DSD256 even with the fairly old desktop machine, with only a very occasional hiccup that I can tolerate. Buffer's 100ms - for some reason both default and 250ms perform worse.

Heh, OK I'm impulsive. Enjoying some quiet music at home, but figured Gigabit Ethernet could potentially help with the few blips I'm experiencing. And really, these mini-computers are so darn cute.

Good enough for Sonore, good enough for me. Ordered a CuboxTV (quad core) on sale for less than the dual core. But I won't have time to play with it before Labor Day.

Jud, I'm impulsive too! I am going to have to compare the cuboxtv against my i3-5005u pc tweaked with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer. Btw, I purchased the i3 pc from taobao.com for $140 shipped. I already had ddr3l memory and an SSD so the total cost is similar to the cuboxtv.

Mine was $97 shipped at Jet.com after applying the 15% first time buyer's discount.

• 4 weeks later...
Life is good now. For some reason when HQPlayer starts, the BBxM loses its connection with the iFi. All that is necessary is to unplug and replug something to get the BBxM to "see" the DAC with HQPlayer running. (In my system the easiest thing to do is unplug and replug power to the Regen between BBxM and iFi.) As I set up VNC to control HQPlayer on the desktop upstairs while listening to the main system downstairs, this is now easy and does not involve running up and down steps. :)

With the BBxM running from a battery and the Baaske isolator on the Ethernet connection between router and BBxM, there's now no noise, and the sound is very nice. (There was noise without the isolator, even running the BBxM from battery. Don't know why, but there was.) Can run at DSD256 even with the fairly old desktop machine, with only a very occasional hiccup that I can tolerate. Buffer's 100ms - for some reason both default and 250ms perform worse.

Heh, OK I'm impulsive. Enjoying some quiet music at home, but figured Gigabit Ethernet could potentially help with the few blips I'm experiencing. And really, these mini-computers are so darn cute.

Good enough for Sonore, good enough for me. Ordered a CuboxTV (quad core) on sale for less than the dual core. But I won't have time to play with it before Labor Day.

A few anecdotal things for whatever use they may be:

- The BBxM-as-NAA started disconnecting from the iFi again when HQPlayer started up, and I could not get it to reattach by disconnecting/reconnecting anything or assigning the BBxM an IP address. I suppose I should have tried giving it a name that HQPlayer could see, but the Cubox had arrived and I wanted to play with it.

- The Cubox running the NAA image works beautifully, never any problems with disconnection. Once in a great while HQP will only see the Cubox's internal DAC and not the iFi, but unplugging and replugging power to the Regen always cures that.

I am only able to run DSD128, not DSD256, and once in a while HQP stutters. This is not a network problem, as I tried the iFi directly connected to my desktop upstairs running Linux and it did exactly the same thing. I'm not at all sure why this is the case, since DSD256 was working a few weeks ago. I don't recall changing any settings. Strange.... So that's the bad news, but the good news is that the Cubox running the NAA image is not a limitation on the performance of the system.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Beaglebone Black Rev. C which is running Arch Linux. Can you please guide me how to install NAA to it. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Miska, but you may want to try simply installing NAA on the current OS and seeing if it works. If not, I think your next option would be to install a newish Debian, then NAA on that. See Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

Edit: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hqplayer-network-audio-daemon/

Thanks, Jud. I managed to install package https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/stretch/networkaudiod_3.4.0-32_armhf.deb to the current OS on my Beaglebone Black.

Then I cannot start /usr/bin/networkaudiod because it requires glibc 3.4.21, but the newest glibc I can install by pacman is glibc-2.24-2-armv7h.

Is there any chance I can get glibc 3.4.21 or newer on arch linux armv7h?

Remove the NAA package you installed and see whether the pacman package I linked to will install and work. If not, you will need to remove the current OS (if you think you'd like to go back to it, back it up) and install a newer Debian that has the proper glibc version, which will be available at the first link I gave.

I did also with the pacman package you provided. Actually it does nothing except inflating deb package and repack with a PKGBUILD file https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=hqplayer-network-audio-daemon

I think next step I will try Miska's image built for Beaglebone Black https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-340-beaglebone.zip

Ah - I think when I last looked, either the image hadn't been updated recently or it wasn't what I wanted for my BeagleBoard-xM. Or possibly I'm wrong about that. :)

Anyway, please let us know how it goes.

Just let you know this image worked on my Beaglebone Black https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-340-beaglebone.zip. But it is very annoying.

After image booted I can get HQPlayer desktop find the NAA Beaglebone Black, play music to it. However if I stop playing music then start playing music again then HQPlayer desktop can not find NAA BBB any more. I have to restart NAA BBB in order to play another music. The cycle lost-connection -> have-to-restart-NAA-BBB happens again and again each time I stop HQPlayer :(

I had the same problem with my BeagleBoard, so I bought a Cubox and everything works.

Installed NAA on ubuntu server 16.04 LTS on my ECS Liva mini PC, then HQPlayer connects to NAA permanently. No need the restart cycle :)

I did not try installing NAA on latest Stretch image on Beaglebone Black.

I had the latest Stretch image on my BeagleBoard-xM and it had the problem, so I guess there is something about the Beagles that triggers it. You did better for yourself using the Liva.