IGNORED

Article: AudioQuest DragonFly Review

My Setup;

• Windows 7 Ultimate
  • JRiver Media Center
  • AudioQuest DragonFly DAC
  • A/V Receiver (Onkyo TX-8255)
  • Loudspeakers (Polk RTi A3)

My question is what volume settings should each be set at? There seems to be 3 in total I need to determine the best setting for. I've read more than one article explaining the right way to set the volumes controls for each/everything together, therefore it would seem that one, or more, of them isn't explaining it correctly.

1. The Dragon-Fly's volume
  2. The Windows' System Volume
  3. The A/V Receiver's Volume

I really appreciate any help in advance,

Thanks,

-Ryan G.

My Setup;

• Windows 7 Ultimate
  • JRiver Media Center
  • AudioQuest DragonFly DAC
  • A/V Receiver (Onkyo TX-8255)
  • Loudspeakers (Polk RTi A3)

My question is what volume settings should each be set at? There seems to be 3 in total I need to determine the best setting for. I've read more than one article explaining the right way to set the volumes controls for each/everything together, therefore it would seem that one, or more, of them isn't explaining it correctly.

1. The Dragon-Fly's volume
  2. The Windows' System Volume
  3. The A/V Receiver's Volume

I really appreciate any help in advance,

Thanks,

-Ryan G.

Ryan,

Generally for best quality you want to avoid using the volume control in the software player.

The Dragonfly has 2 modes. It has a preamp/ variable output mode and you use your PC's system volume to control it. It also has a fixed output mode that you enable by turning the System/Dragonfly volume to 100%. I think this is the option you want. Turn the software and system volume all the way up, and control volume with your receiver. More info is on Audioquest's website. USB Digital Analog Converter

If you are connecting a headphone to the Dragonfly, use the variable output mode and control volume with the system volume. This is how I use my Dragonfly on a Mac.

Note that some software can "take over" the System volume, so changing volume in the software is actually changing the System volume. I don't use JRiver so I don't know if this applies with your software. Maybe other JRiver users can chime in on that.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan,

Generally for best quality you want to avoid using the volume control in the software player.

The Dragonfly has 2 modes. It has a preamp/ variable output mode and you use your PC's system volume to control it. It also has a fixed output mode that you enable by turning the System/Dragonfly volume to 100%. I think this is the option you want. Turn the software and system volume all the way up, and control volume with your receiver. More info is on Audioquest's website. USB Digital Analog Converter

If you are connecting a headphone to the Dragonfly, use the variable output mode and control volume with the system volume. This is how I use my Dragonfly on a Mac.

Note that some software can "take over" the System volume, so changing volume in the software is actually changing the System volume. I don't use JRiver so I don't know if this applies with your software. Maybe other JRiver users can chime in on that.

You answered my questions perfectly, thanks. JRiver has the option to disable software volume control so setting the AQ DF/System volume to 100% and controlling volume through the receiver is the right way to go.

I do however have one last question. I'm either getting the Yamaha A-S500BL or Yamaha A-S700BL. With my AudioQuest Dragonfly and a pair of Polk RTi A3's would you say 700 is over kill? Power wise I've read there's not much difference. What I've read is that the the jump from 5-700 is that wonderful natural Yamaha sound people buying Yamaha seek. I imagine both will be plenty loud and more than enough to push my A3's to "very loud" (which I need sometimes), but overall I'm an SQ man.

What your input?

Anyone elses input would really really help as well!! (Hence I spelled every word out, to help searchers find the thread, haha) ;)

You answered my questions perfectly, thanks. JRiver has the option to disable software volume control so setting the AQ DF/System volume to 100% and controlling volume through the receiver is the right way to go.

I do however have one last question. I'm either getting the Yamaha A-S500BL or Yamaha A-S700BL. With my AudioQuest Dragonfly and a pair of Polk RTi A3's would you say 700 is over kill? Power wise I've read there's not much difference. What I've read is that the the jump from 5-700 is that wonderful natural Yamaha sound people buying Yamaha seek. I imagine both will be plenty loud and more than enough to push my A3's to "very loud" (which I need sometimes), but overall I'm an SQ man.

What your input?

Anyone elses input would really really help as well!! (Hence I spelled every word out, to help searchers find the thread, haha)

What your input?

Anyone else with input would really really help as well!! (Hence I spelled every word out, to help searchers find the thread, haha)

-Ryan

• 3 years later...