IGNORED

Audio Engine A5+or Passive Speakers & Amp (compact Size)??Advice/Suggestions appreciated!

Conga

Hello Everyone,

It as been quite some time since I was able to last visit the site,let alone post.Illness is getting the better of me these days but I still dream of quality PC Audio!& Really would value any help/advice relating to the following:-

Some time back now I owned the current Dell studio (2008) laptop,I partnered it with a pair of of Audio-Engine A5s (bamboo) through Firestone Fubar Dac & PS,custom made cables e.t.c.??? cost a fortune and end product was dissapoininting to say the least, just not worth the time effort and silly cost,learnt a very hard & costly lesson.(Ihope)

Now I am about to invest in a Intel 5 processor Ultrabook or similar? which will be my music server

most of my files are 24/96.Now the problem with the Old A5s was lack of bass! and by then I did not fancy investing in a bass box?

I see there is a mark 2 version of the A5s called + with remote?but I am wondering is there a better way maybe somehow finding a compact amp/dac able to feed a pair of the well reviewed and not to expensive Q Acoustics 2000 Series 2020 Bookshelf Speakers??

I did not really wish to go down the full blown Hi-Fi Route for a few reasons but if there is a compact Passive set up that would set my toes a tapping(Electric Blues) then I would be a happy man

must be quite compact if at all possible again good reasons for this.

so there you have it my friends I hope some of you will reply

I thank you all very much in advance

regards Steve

I think the Firestone Fubar Dac might be the culprit rather than the A5, and it would be worth finding out. I run A2 with a Dragonfly DAC (US$250) and that sounds quite good. I also have it pass through a Velodyne microvee. This sounds ok in my office, and I have little doubt the A5 would sound significantly better.

How big a room do you have? I think any speakers that qualify as bookshelf are likely to benefit from a sub. Audioengine makes those too.

Hello wgscott

Graet to hear from you,I take your point re the fubar but I had also tried the a5s on very good wooden stands.and with other dacs e.t.c. and whilst the a5s were good they were not great..

that is what made me think of going down the passive route with amp and speakers as originally outlined.

Interesting you should mension the Dragon Fly read hundreds of positive comments on this item also the Halidedesign DAC.excuse my ignorance but what is a Velodyne microvee?

My own room is only 2 x 3 mtrs but I would move it into lounge which is bigger

as long as I can keep it compact and make the music more spaciouse & open with good bass (not over the top) I will be happy(always felt the A5s were a bit strangled) no doubt my own mistakes..but I would nedd a good argument to go back to AE or any near field monitors

please keep the advcie coming

many thanks Steve

I think the Firestone Fubar Dac might be the culprit rather than the A5, and it would be worth finding out. I run A2 with a Dragonfly DAC (US$250) and that sounds quite good. I also have it pass through a Velodyne microvee. This sounds ok in my office, and I have little doubt the A5 would sound significantly better.

How big a room do you have? I think any speakers that qualify as bookshelf are likely to benefit from a sub. Audioengine makes those too.