IGNORED

why better resolution through Archos?

kc613

first post here, so excuse the stupidity. transferred wav files from my pc to an Archos player(605 160gb). resolution seems better from Archos w/HD650's than with my sound system being fed from the pc. would it be because there are less artifacts coming through the Archos than the pc. if i used an external hd through, say, an oppo(digital out) to my dac, then into my system and not use the pc, would this improve the resolution. am i on the right track thinking this way.

resolution seems better from Archos w/HD650's than with my sound system being fed from the pc.

Did you compare Sennheiser on Archos to Sennheiser on main system? Otherwise you will mainly notice the difference between your headphones and speakers.

if i used an external hd through, say, an oppo(digital out) to my dac, then into my system and not use the pc, would this improve the resolution.

The fastest way to find out if it changes anything, is to connect the Archos via S/PDIF from it's docking station. I browsed the online manual, and saw it supports digital out.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra