IGNORED

The need for a external sound card/DAC for Imac 27"

Hi!

I have a question i just ordered a pair of new PC speakers (Corsair SP2500,yes i know most of you cringe right now lol) since my Altec Lansing MX5021 died after 7 years of service.

My question is will my Imac 27" benefit from a external soundcard like the Behringer UCA222 or the FCA202 to get better sound of it to my new speakers (I haven't received them yet) ? Will there be a difference from the onboard soundcard of my Imac 27" (late 2009)

Thanx!

Regards

Paul L.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know these devices nor do I have experience with devices of this type but it seems they are more aimed at a muscician than a listener and simply for the convenience of connection. It would be hard for me to imagine that they would offer much of anything in terms of a sonic benefit. They seem like pretty low grade convenience devices for a different purpose.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Thanx for the reply!

Yes i gathered they Beheringer dec/audio interfaces would offer no benefit over the internal soundcard in terms of Sonic quality.

To answer my own question.

Yes the Imac 27" will benefit from a external DAC given it's a good one (duh) the internal DAC isn't by any means terrible, but there are certainly advantages to get a external DAC if your willing to spend more then 100usd.

After a lot of research i ended up getting the Audinst Hud-mx1 DAC which proven to be excellent for the price. Clean and quite neutral, the headphone amp is very good as well!

I received the Corsair SP2500 2.1 system, and had them for two weeks until i returned them. Not because there where something terrible wrong with them, but more because i wanted something that sounded a little more "complete" a full bodied. Which something you want get from a 2.1 in that size/price range.

However you'd be hard pressed to find a 2.1 system that sound better for the money then Corsair SP2500.

So now iv looked into getting a pair of active monitors in the 5-6" size.

I will most likely get the Tannoy 601a by the end of the week.