IGNORED

Decline in music quality

I know this isn't really where the conversation was headed but I feel that music quality is definitely declining and its been this way for a while. I think it's due largely to the lack of imagination. I would venture to guess that 90% of every song that has any notable commercial success utilizes one of three chord sequences. It's so boring.

Like brunk says, it's too easy to compare this type of analogy to previous generations. There are some unique things to the digital age and computer automation that are factors. But one thing I don't know if we've mentioned is the consolidation of media corporations, and that does relate somewhat to your analogy. I can't be 100 percent sure about the "why" of loudness boosting, although getting the radio content louder seems plausible. But I feel more sure about what makes it so prevalent, and that's the computer automation of remastering.

The only way you can be immune to the "loudness wars" is if your stuck in the 70's or listen to an incredibly slim choice of genres/artists.

Hey, that's me. So I'm limited to well-recorded and mastered recorded music made since the 70s, plus everything recorded in the 70s and earlier, plus live music. I don't know how I can stand it.

Damn you, Apple!

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Like brunk says, it's too easy to compare this type of analogy to previous generations. There are some unique things to the digital age and computer automation that are factors. But one thing I don't know if we've mentioned is the consolidation of media corporations, and that does relate somewhat to your analogy. I can't be 100 percent sure about the "why" of loudness boosting, although getting the radio content louder seems plausible. But I feel more sure about what makes it so prevalent, and that's the computer automation of remastering.

Yep. I agree, and like I stated before, the best way to kill it is to "open the masses eyes" so we have one, huge, singular, voice. How do we do that? Drop the pure corporate greed and bring us into the 21st century with atleast CD quality music so the loudness is realized... Any better ideas?