IGNORED

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman - Garcia/Grisman Alternate Takes (24/96) looks good

I'm dragging out getting ready for work today so I can start listening.

Two initial observations:

1. Sounds great.

2. The "alternative" is sufficiently different than the original that it warrants spending $12 on if you like this album (one of my all-time favorites, and I got to see the two of them perform it in SF when it was released).

2. The "alternative" is sufficiently different than the original that it warrants spending $12 on if you like this album (one of my all-time favorites, and I got to see the two of them perform it in SF when it was released).

Thanks for that - this is one of my top favorite albums too, and this was exactly what I was wondering. Can't wait to hear it!!!

Main: Mac Mini i5/Amarra/PureMusic -> Musical Fidelity V-Link II -> Peachtree DACiT | Pro Ject Debut III TT -> Primaluna Prologue Premium w/ KT88s -> ProAc Response D15

Basement/Record Cleaning Lair: Dual 510 TT | AirportExpress | Denon DCD-570 -> Marantz 2252B -> Infinity Qe | Magnepan MG1.4

Attic: AirportExpress | Technics SL-Q2 -> Scott 299b -> Paradigm mini monitors

Office: iPod Classic 160gb docked -> Miniwatt N3 -> ADS L300c

Mobile response unit: AirportExpress -> Audioengine 2

[quote name=wgscott;170970I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet' date=' except with my eyes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1511[/ATTACH]

wgscott - can you tell me what I am looking at here? As a high-res newbie, would love to understand what those graphs represent. I am familiar in looking at a waveform like this, but is the conclusion that we see a wider range of dynamics in the waveform?

Main: Mac Mini i5/Amarra/PureMusic -> Musical Fidelity V-Link II -> Peachtree DACiT | Pro Ject Debut III TT -> Primaluna Prologue Premium w/ KT88s -> ProAc Response D15

Basement/Record Cleaning Lair: Dual 510 TT | AirportExpress | Denon DCD-570 -> Marantz 2252B -> Infinity Qe | Magnepan MG1.4

waveform: Allows you to see if the dynamic range has been exceeded.

This one looks kind of bad:

Screen%20shot%202011-04-21%20at%209.56.00%20PM.png

This one looks good:

Screen%20shot%202011-04-12%20at%201.32.59%20PM.png

spectrum (fourier transform): Allows you to see how high in frequency the signal actually goes, given the cut-off imposed by the type of file (red-book is sampled at 44.1 kHz, so it cuts off at 22.05 kHz):

This one looks bad (probably up-sampled):

Screen%20Shot%202011-11-27%20at%208.50.28%20PM.png

This one looks good:

Screen%20Shot%202011-11-27%20at%209.55.23%20PM.png

The third type of plot is basically a cross-section of the second type of plot, but provides a complementary view.

Thanks - that's really helpful and interesting.