IGNORED

Speakers for desk top

I am looking to buy a pair of high quality speakers for a desk top system. I have a modest Denon integrated amp (which I would like to keep) so I assume high sensitivity is important. I also have a sub I will use. The system is in a small office with not much acoustic treatments. After considerable research on-line, and keeping within size and budget constraints, I have narrowed the choices down to the following:

Audio Engine P-4

Cambridge Audio S30

KEF C1

Boston Acoustics A26

PSB Alpha B1

NHT Super Zero

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with any of these speakers? Unfortunately I am not able to audition any of them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dy

These speakers from CEntrance look interesting. I've been looking at their integrated portable system using these that comes with their DACmini PX DAC/amp. CEntrance -> Products

I've heard NHT speakers and they are quite good. No direct experience with the others on your list.

The Audio Engine P-4 looks like a good bargain.

JohnMH

I've tried a few different speakers for a desktop set up. I used the audio engine P-4s for a long time and liked them. They were a bit bright though. Depending on how your desk is set up, I'd be cautious about getting any speakers that are rear ported. The P-4s are front ported. One nice thing about the NHTs is that they are sealed. Currently I'm running a cue acoustic R1 radio with the S1 speaker. It's pretty good and takes up very little space which is important in my current desk set up. I'm planning on adding a dac/amp combo and use headphones for critical listening.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Actually I've just set up my desktop again with the following set up: HRT musicstreamer II -> audioengine N-22 amp -> audioengine P-4 speakers. The N-22 amp runs very cool and takes up very little space. I thought when I first bought the P-4 speakers that they were a bit too analytical and bright but over time my ears became accustomed to them or perhaps the speaker broke in. The sound quality is very, very good and they work very well if they are near a boundary (as mine are) because they are front ported. The only thing I think I'm going to change is to add a different dac/headphone combo, probably a cambridge dacmagic II.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)