IGNORED

Wanna listen to my stereo?

You can! Using hi-tech in-ear binaural microphones, I can record my stereo (and room) while seated in the listening position. I can also record my over the ear headphones too, but that is another story.

I am using Hossam Ramzy’s song called, “Arabantana” from his Rock the Tabla album. You can listen or download from itunes.

I used my Lynx pro sound card’s ADC to record to Audacity at 24/96. I then took the preview from itunes and my recording, loaded them up in Audacity. I used the “amplify” plugin to normalize the levels of each recording. Now I can AB the tracks to see how close my stereo/room sounds to the source.

Every 15 seconds I switch from my recording of the analog speakers/room to the digital source. Please use headphones to listen to the binaural recording.

The tone quality it pretty close, but you can certainly “hear” the room. Btw, the binaural recording is not optimized as I am still playing with placement of the mics in the ears.

Why am I doing this? Much like Bill’s post on DIY acoustic treatment results, I am adding room treatments and Digital Room Correction to my system as that to me is the best bang for the buck to make my stereo sound like the digital source.

I though the best way people could hear the differences at each stage was to record the differences so you can hear what I hear.

Look for a complete write-up in the next week or so on my blog.

Arabantara Digital and Room.zip

Sounds really fun! I've been interested in personal binaural recording for a while now, but haven't yet taken the plunge. I'm interested to hear your results :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system