IGNORED

Do you have an Apple TV?

Do you have an Apple TV2 or 3, and if so, how do you use it?  

354 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had my ATV3 for a number of months now. It was a gift from my children.Although I admire it's design and interface,I do find the sound quality less satisfying than my Vortexbox and dac set. After comparison the ATV appears brighter and slightly brash sounding. I can hear the compression more easily on the ATV3.I don't know why this is. Perhaps the effects of jitter?

Ste

I had my ATV3 for a number of months now. It was a gift from my children.Although I admire it's design and interface,I do find the sound quality less satisfying than my Vortexbox and dac set. After comparison the ATV appears brighter and slightly brash sounding. I can hear the compression more easily on the ATV3.I don't know why this is. Perhaps the effects of jitter?

I tried a ATV for music play back on my audio system from CD's I ripped to iTunes running on a Mac mini. The sound was brittle and very bright. I replaced the ATV with an older version of an Airport Express that I bought on EBay. This made a huge difference,. The airport express sounds as good as playing the original CD's directly on my audio system ( Marantz 7400, Monitor Audio Silver series speakers, Sony CD player)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apple TV 3 hooked up to the big screen via HDMI. Use Beamer app on Macbook Pro to send video content wirelessly to ATV. Also hooked up to integrated amp via Toslink for casual listening, streaming and allow other iTunes users to connect and stream content. Mostly used for Netflix and streaming from laptop to big screen.

I have an ATV3 and love most of what is does, slick interface...but I envy those who get lousy sound from it. I get no sound at all from the toslink out, tried two different cables into a Schitt Bifrost with no joy. I have read that the ATV toslink output simply fails feeding some DACs, anyone else dealing with that?

Also since it and my Mac Mini respond to the same iRemote, I'll get music playing from the little speaker on the MM when switching video sources on the ATV! But I just cover the MM's IR sensor with a roll of tape and I'm good to go. Wish I could hear music from the ATV though.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Thanks speavler, I tried that and all the other setting combinations early on, no go. I get a nice red light out the end of the cable, signifying nothing, apparently.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I have an Apple TV3 running into a Rotel receiver using HDMI without problems. Prior to the HDMI Rotel I had a Toslink running into a receiver without problems. I think the sound is great for TVs, better than some of the others out there.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I have an ATV3 and love most of what is does, slick interface...but I envy those who get lousy sound from it. I get no sound at all from the toslink out, tried two different cables into a Schitt Bifrost with no joy. I have read that the ATV toslink output simply fails feeding some DACs, anyone else dealing with that?

Also since it and my Mac Mini respond to the same iRemote, I'll get music playing from the little speaker on the MM when switching video sources on the ATV! But I just cover the MM's IR sensor with a roll of tape and I'm good to go. Wish I could hear music from the ATV though.

I don't know what is going on with the first issue, but in the case of the second, you can pair individual Apple remotes with the ATV and computer, separately. Another option is to teach the ATV a different set of commands, from (eg) and old DVD player's remote, and pair it with that. Then they can peacefully coexist.

You may have to set the ATV2 to output 16 bit rather than "automatic" (or vice versa) if the DAC isn't handling its optical signal.

...you can pair individual Apple remotes with the ATV and computer, separately.

Thanks wg, great concept, I had no idea they could do that. I just saw it in the manual, but I must have forgotten it when I set up my Mac Mini audio server several months later.

...You may have to set the ATV2 to output 16 bit rather than "automatic" (or vice versa) if the DAC isn't handling its optical signal.

Good idea, but mine fails under both settings. I think the possible culprits are 1) bad receiver in the DAC, 2) bad emitter in the ATV; or 3) bad firmware on the ATV. I'll need to fix it to be able to watch streaming video on my projector; so far I've had to limit streaming to the television because of the sound problem.