Sign in to follow this  
cjf

Thunder, Lightning and your audio system

Rate this topic

Years ago, when living across the road from the local swimming pool, I suffered similar damage to what Dennis described,

including a completely vaporised section of underground telephone cable .

These days I use a decent DIY surge protected powerboard, that includes several Varistors.There are also commercial versions available that even offer a warranty . e.g. This is part of the warranty.for one of the Belkin Products.

" ■ Connected Equipment Warranty: Belkin will repair or replace any equipment damaged by a surge, spike, or lightning strike while properly connected to a Belkin Surge Protector with Battery Backup, up to $50,000."

It is of course advisable to unplug valuable equipment from the mains supply when there is a nearby severe thunderstorm.

Don't forget the external TV antenna too !

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Thanks Barrows for those sobering words of warning about the impossibility of protection outside of unplugging. I think I'm going to keep things unplugged unless I'm using them, regardless of any products I buy to protect them.

Just be aware that you can't always be there to unplug them. In that case , a surge protected powerboard MAY save you from all but an almost direct strike.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Sign in to follow this