IGNORED

Beethoven: Complete Piano Trios - Trio Wanderer (24/96) - Quobuz

Just decided to go once more for one of the current promotions at Quobuz (they will be over later today): Beethoven's Complete Piano Trios by the Trio Wanderer (Harmonia Mundi 24/96). I have a very nice recording of the Trout with them already, so at the price of €29,99 for four albums (regular price 37.49) I figured I cannot go wrong.

Will report back tonight when I'm back from work (honestly, since I got my new DAC I'm quite often tempted to call in sick just to stay at home and listen to music. I luckily am able to skip this urge as somebody will have to pay for all those albums...)

I also got "Caldara in Vienna" with Philippe Jaroussky (24/44), with the great Emmanuelle Haim leading the Concerto Köln. A full album of Castrato arias. This one seems to be at 7.49 regular price. Will report back independently.

Obviously couldn't resist to start listening for 5 min: the sound quality is awesome. It may also be influenced by the new Audirvana Plus Beta with direct mode i just installed yesterday, but I just felt the three friendly Frenchmen were sitting there in my living room just opposite my couch.

Just listened to the complete "Ghost" trio: very fine playing, very fine recording. The Trio Wanderer plays very delicately, but with a lot of emotion. You can feel that they enjoy what they are doing. Highly recommended set.

Sounds interesting ,but I went for the Razumovsky Quartets and the Late Quartets instead this time.

Have not heard all yet but from what I have listened to so far the Tokyo Quartet compare very favourably to both with Amadeus Quartetto Italiano and La Salle that I have on LPs.

The 24/88.2 sound is a bit lean but very clean and musically these quartets are imho unrivalled.

Thanks again for alerting me to Qobuz.

While the Promo lasted I downloaded Mahler's 1st, 3rd, 7th, 8th, and 9th from the SFO and the Beethoven Quartets all at very good prices. Mahler's 9th which I downloaded yesterday,now costs 22 € I paid 6,30. Unbeatable.

I am logging in at Qobuz several times per day and there is a lot more that is tempting me.

But having spent some 100€ on music this week I might wait a bit for the next Promo and just enjoy all the good music I already have from them for a while.

As sidenote to the poster who pointed out that the Mahler symponies are DSD recordings I have to add that my Hegel HD 20 DAC beats my SACD player hands down.

Yes contrary to what I had expected the pcm sounds clearly better than my SACD of the 7th. I have in fact changed my opinion of that recording. It is much better than I had earlier thought.

Time for an upgrade of SACD player or maybe time to try DSD downloads and a DSD capable DAC?

Ah, the quartets. Tricky as there is so much excellent choice. The Tokyo does a nice job (I only have the late quartets with them).

As an alternative, with both sound quality and interpretation I'd also have a look at the Takacs recordings on Decca. I've only seen them on CD so far unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't able to purchase this in time to receive the promo pricing, but went for it anyway. Thanks for the recommendation it's definitely an enjoyable listen.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.