IGNORED

Long SPDIF run?

High-resolution WAV source file >>>> capable digital 'stuff' >>>> SPDIF output in home office >>>> ???? 100 ft ???? >>>> DAC/Pre/Amp/Spkr in main listening area.

Is it possible to maintain hi-rez SPDIF output quality via 'hardwire' to DAC input 100' away?

I'm not confused -- I'm pleasantly unaware.

Greg -- Native-born Texican

S/PDIF is only specced to 10 m (30') or so. AES3 can go 10 times that distance.

The Berkeley Alpha USB has the AES output in the office, and the CP-800 has an AES input in the main listening area. So if I make a 'well-considered' cable selection, I should be OK for no digital signal quality degradation. Is that correct? Thanks again.

The Berkeley Alpha USB has the AES output in the office, and the CP-800 has an AES input in the main listening area. So if I make a 'well-considered' cable selection, I should be OK for no digital signal quality degradation. Is that correct?

Yes, you should be OK with that. You should see some of the cable runs they do at professional studios and stages, not to mention stadiums :)

Yes, you should be OK with that. You should see some of the cable runs they do at professional studios and stages, not to mention stadiums :)

Yes, I suppose my 'run' is modest, to say the least. Thank you for your assistance. I also appreciate your comments on the balanced (XLR?) system thread. I commend you for your willingness to share your 'not inconsiderable' insight. ;?)

I also appreciate your comments on the balanced (XLR?) system thread. I commend you for your willingness to share your 'not inconsiderable' insight. ;?)

Thanks! As you might have noticed, my insights (or lack of them) is not always appreciated by everyone. But I at least try to base them on facts... :)

Hi Greg,

Designer jewelery cable will cost you a fortune for a cable that long. Here's a link to some affordable good quality Mogami cables that won't break the bank Professional Recording Equipment Accessories: Shop Our Selection of Audio Equipment Accessories, Custom Engraved Panels and Custom Audio Cables - Mogami W3173 Heavy Duty AES. Redco will custom fabricate the length you need and can terminate the cable with Neutrik XLRs and deliver to your door step.

Daren

Thanks guys!

Daren, I've been MIA for a bit getting the new system up and goin'. I've had time to look around enough to know that you are still actively generous with your knowledge, as well.

You guys make this site better. Maybe someday I'll be able to assist others, also.

The Berkeley Alpha USB has the AES output in the office, and the CP-800 has an AES input in the main listening area. So if I make a 'well-considered' cable selection, I should be OK for no digital signal quality degradation. Is that correct? Thanks again.

If you go AES/EBU, realize that you don't need boutique cables or even dedicated AES/EBU cables. Good old cat5e works great and is what's commonly used in pro audio applications -- its impedance is within that of the 110 Ohm +/- 20% spec'ed for AES/EBU. Save yourself money and get XLR to RJ45 baluns instead of AES/EBU cables with XLR connectors. 100' AES/EBU cables will cost some pretty pennies.

Cheers,

JR

Oppo UDP-205/Topping D90 MQA/eBay HDMI->I2S/Gallo Reference 3.5/Hsu Research VTF-3HO/APB Pro Rack House/LEA C352 amp/laser printer 14AWG power cords/good but cheap pro audio XLR cables.