IGNORED

Should I get Magneplanar 1.7 or 3.6 speakers ??? Please help

In my local audio community, there is currently one pair each of the magneplanar 1.7 and 3.6 for sale. I'm really keen to get one as I've heard they are great. However, I'm not sure which one to get. The 3.6 is $800 more which means I could get a 1.7 and a subwoofer or maggie dwm bass module for the same price. I'm really not sure which to get so any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

Have you listened to each one yet? Checked them out for wear and tear?

If so, and you're still torn, are you planning to bi-amp? If so, the 3.6 will allow this and the 1.7 won't.

Personally, I'd go with the 1.7, but then, I went for the 3.7, have the Maggie Minis on my desk and am currently trying to think of ways to convince Wendell to hook me up with some 20.7s, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

First, forget about a Magnepan DWM bass module to use with 1.7s or 3.6s. It doesn't dig much, if any, deeper than either of those models. A Rythmik F12 for the same price will be far superior giving you a full octave or more below those loudspeakers. The 1.7s and a Rythmik F12 would be a very nice setup. If you have a big room the 3.6s might be better, but without the extended low end of the 1.7s and a Rythmik.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Thanks for the comments. I'd love the 3.7s but don't want to spend too much as this is for a sitting room, not my main system and I'm already in trouble with the lady for spending too much. So, what I'm interested in knowing is whether a 1.7 with a good sub like the Rhythmik F12/F15 would be superior to the 3.6? This will be in a sitting room that is rectangular, about 5metres width and 7metres length. The speakers will be placed along the back (5m long) wall and I can afford about 1.5-2 metres space behind them to let them "breathe" ( I hear magneplanars should have space behind them). Thank you again for all comments. I never knew there was so much help available on online forums.

For that size room 1.7s with a Rythmik F12 or F15 should be plenty as long as you have a good high current, low impedance amp to drive the 1.7s.

I'd set up the 1.7s ala Cardas Cardas Audio and then do a sub crawl Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement — Reviews and News from Audioholics to find decent placement for the Rythmik.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

For that size room 1.7s with a Rythmik F12 or F15 should be plenty as long as you have a good high current, low impedance amp to drive the 1.7s.

I'd set up the 1.7s ala Cardas Cardas Audio and then do a sub crawl Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement — Reviews and News from Audioholics to find decent placement for the Rythmik.

Thanks. Yup, decided to go with the 1.7 plus sub combo since everyone I've talked to has told me that the 1.7s by themselves are already pretty much better than the 3.6. Forum member dyl1dyl even told me one of his friends is trying to sell his 3.6rs now to get a pair of 1.7s with sub or 3.7s. Told me that the 3.6r just sounds very incoherent and out of phase compared to the X.7 maggies. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Will be getting the 1.7s with Rhythmik F15 and will try and post up a short write up about them after they arrive.