IGNORED

Smyth Realiser setup in northeast US?

I live between Boston, Mass and Providence, RI and travel approximately every 6 weeks to New York City to visit family. I'm considering getting a Smyth Realiser and having it personally setup at sometime over the next 4 months. Is there anyplace besides NYC's Sensorium AV that you would recommend? I have no issue with Sensorium(in truth, I have no experience with them) but it would be nice to have a few options. In case you're interested, I have a PS Audio solid state headphone amp and a pair of Sennheiser 600 headphones. My main stereo listening setup includes a Marantz PM K1 amplifier with Gallo Strada and TR3 speaker/subwoofer combo with an async Phasure NOS1 DAC. Thanks.

Esau

I live between Boston, Mass and Providence, RI and travel approximately every 6 weeks to New York City to visit family. I'm considering getting a Smyth Realiser and having it personally setup at sometime over the next 4 months. Is there anyplace besides NYC's Sensorium AV that you would recommend? I have no issue with Sensorium(in truth, I have no experience with them) but it would be nice to have a few options. In case you're interested, I have a PS Audio solid state headphone amp and a pair of Sennheiser 600 headphones. My main stereo listening setup includes a Marantz PM K1 amplifier with Gallo Strada and TR3 speaker/subwoofer combo with an async Phasure NOS1 DAC. Thanks.

Esau

They're the only dealers in NYC at this point, but apparently have a good HT setup and can take measurements for you when you purchase the unit. FWIW the general consensus is that you'd get a lot more mileage from the unit going with Stax headphones (whether mid or high end, given the speed and transparency they provide). If you buy the package, you'll get a basic Stax setup which is good when you're going to other systems and want to take measurements and hear confirmation (you can also typically buy without the standard Stax amp/headphones).

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Silverlight, I think I'll pass on the Stax equipment in favor of keeping my PS Audio/Sennheiser setup since I know them so well. Also, it looks like the PSA may potentially have a better DAC than the Smyth Realiser. Stax equipment, BTW is a potentially very slippery slope that may lead to more gear lust(is there ever any going back?).

Input username here, thanks for the thorough review. The input limitations of the Smyth are maddening but at least I own an Oppo DVD player. The limited options for finding listening rooms to sample is a real problem, particularly as I have no west coast connections or other reasons to travel to the LA area. I'm actually surprised that there are so few options in the New York City area. In any event, it's not a deal breaker for me. I would like to use the Smyth to listen at home without disturbing my wife or perhaps use it at work to bring the listening room to the office.

Esau

Input username here, thanks for the thorough review. The input limitations of the Smyth are maddening but at least I own an Oppo DVD player. The limited options for finding listening rooms to sample is a real problem, particularly as I have no west coast connections or other reasons to travel to the LA area. I'm actually surprised that there are so few options in the New York City area. In any event, it's not a deal breaker for me. I would like to use the Smyth to listen at home without disturbing my wife or perhaps use it at work to bring the listening room to the office.

Esau

Hey esimms86,

Glad I could help. Playing nice with a BluRay player, like the Oppo, is really what the Realizer was designed to do--and, truth be told, the only thing it actually does very well (as far as I/Os go at least). So you should be ok as far as that goes.

Also, the Sensorium AV system is pretty darn nice and Bryan will throw in ONE PRIR measurement with the purchase of the Realizer from him (you have to choose stereo OR surround; the second/other will cost you an additional $250). Anyway, it is certainly not the best system or room I've ever heard, but it is a good way to get started. I am enjoying the stereo system's emulation right now as I type (listening to some Daft Punk for fun!).

Also of note is that Bryan really goes through the setup of the Realizer in-depth while working with you--he spent much more time dialing it in for me than did Lor, the chief of Smyth USA, when I visited Smyth in California (not that I am complaining--Lor actually took very, very good measurements, it's just that Bryan is REALLY through). In answer to your original question, even without much choice for Realizers in NYC, I highly recommend Sensorium and Bryan.

Finally, there are a million AV choices in NYC, of course! But there are only a few lines I would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars to emulate. But, as I said in my review thread, I am not done looking. I have faith that some of those other choices there (or in Boston) will pay off.

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)