IGNORED

Article: 2009 CES Notes: Part III

Hi Chris-<br />

I agree- the sound in this room was outstanding (I returned several times to listen) and especially the cuts that Bill demo'd. In particular, that Natalie Cole piece was awesome. I did indeed notice your server there, but assumed that the MacBook Pro was actually feeding the system. As I think it out, I'm now guessing that it was being used only to control your server as the Berkley doesn't have a USB input. Was this correct? <br />

<br />

As for CES, I am especially awaiting your comments on the Black Box product. It sounded pretty spectacular on the Rockport speakers, but the $7,000 price seems just way out of line (not that Amarra is any better).<br />

Tom

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Nice setup and seeing a reel to reel is pretty wild but don't know those TAD speakers. Really am skeptical about the 30K massive price tag for a two way speaker. That seems too much and yes, I bet they sound really good.<br />

<br />

They do have a nice size ration and I wouldn't mind hearing them. Just can't see the pricetag. Wonder how much "weight" they deliver. I had a pair of B&W 803 Nautilus that I liked with powerful solid state power like those Pass Labs and liked even more the fuller sound the 802 and 801s in that family could produce. I'm wondering how these TADs would compare. <br />

<br />

Is it even necessary to run Pass Labs monoblocks with those speakers I wonder?<br />

<br />

The Blue-Ray soundtracks sound interesting. Since we won't ever have SACD accepted we do need something and maybe this will be the more widespread improvement at some point. <br />

<br />

intel mac mini 1.6 Core Solo via WD 500 GB - Lavry DA10 DAC - PS Audio GCP 200 Preamp - NHT x-D 2.1 & modified Sony SACD 777ES SACD all sitting on a fine tuned Grand Prix Audio Monaco stand.

This was some of the best sound at the show no doubt. I hung out there quite a few times, and got to chat with Andrew, as well as the Tape Project guys. As an open reel buff, I really like what Andrew Jones said during one of the demo's:<br />

<br />

"OK, that last piece was recorded in high resolution at 24/192 and played back through the Berkeley DAC. Next, we are going to a "higher resolution" and we are going to play one of the Tape Project tapes on high speed open reel."<br />

<br />

You gotta love that!<br />

<br />

This room got incredible sound each time I was there. That said, no Chris you WERE NOT biased at all. And I totally agree, Bill Schnee playing back that Natalie Cole in full 24/192 high resolution was some of the best sound there, period. I bought the "Still Unforgettable" LP at the show!

Regards, Joel

The TAD uses a coincident midrange-tweeter (sort of like what Thiel does) and I believe both drivers utilize beryllium cones, with the pair's operating range something like 400hz to 40khz. It also has a lower-mid woofer which brings usable bass down into the 40s. Its definitely a 3-way. While expensive, it is every bit the reference that the full-range TAD Reference 1 is, just in a monitor form factor (and without the lowest octave). It was one of my 4 favorite rooms at the show for sound (I'd also rank the Vandersteen/Aesthetix room, the Kubala-Sosna/Hansen/Tenor/Continuum, and at a much lower price point, and again with limited bass extension, the Spiral Groove/Sonics room).<br />

<br />

Chris, I tried to figure out who put the server together, but I was in the room during a demo and so didn't amble up close enough to the unit to see the "computer" before Audiophile for Tim Marutani Consulting. But congratulations on being an integral part of a show room with great sound (a difficult task). - Pete -

Keeping it Time and Phase Accurate

• 6 months later...