IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Reference Music Server For A Song

cfmsp

Well put Vincent. This has also troubled me....just to follow on, if someone else on this forum has managed to get 24/192 out of the optical out of a MacPro (running Vista)...why would this be any worse in sound quality than 24/192 out of firewire (say into the "Amarra") solution.?<br />

<br />

Actually come to think of it as long as the output is "clocked" by a really good clock to minimize jitter, it shouldn't matter which computer/soundcard/output is used. <br />

<br />

Then ease of use of the software becomes paramount......

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Chris. Over on another topic in music servers, some guy managed to get 24/192 out of Vista 64 running on a Mac Pro. Can Vista 64 run on your "cheap Dell"? Also is the fact that the MAC PRO running OSX can only output 24/96, a software issue then with OSX? I find this amazing. For years Apple has been THE software for music...am I right on this? Now we find Apple has been one up'd by Microsoft. Hey guys what is goin' on? I mean how long before OSX is upgraded to 24/192?<br />

<br />

It's also important news in planning the best way to get audio out of a MacPro. Why get the Lynx card now, if you can run optical or USB out say straight from the midi into one of Empirical's computer interfaces @ 24/192? Why get a firewire interface for something like Amarra if this solution becomes available using the MacPro midi?<br />

<br />

I get the feeling a punter like me could save potential hundreds on more wasted computer soundcards and "CFAT" by waiting just a couple more months till the dust settles on all this...<br />

<br />

Your cheap "dell server" might be cheap, then again, if it is a darn noisy beast, runs an outdated version of Windows and the soundcard becomes obsolete with the stroke of an overnight "Apple software" upgrade, it doesn't seem so "cheap" after all....<br />

<br />

AB

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra