IGNORED

Article: Wavelength Audio Proton DAC

As an audiophile of some 44 years, I've honed my ability to distinguish steak from sizzle most of the time, but at its price point the new Proton has to be included among the finalists — if it gets good press. <br />

<br />

The only thing that bothers me about this unit is the headphone circuitry, and the described software method of adjusting level.

I have the same concerns SGB. But, knowing the quality of Gordon's work and the high regard his peers have for him, I am pretty confident this DAC will be very good. I do think this DAC is geared toward the desktop audiophile system and listening at a computer more so than the fully integrated complete system. But, "geared toward" certainly doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great fit in any other system.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 weeks later...

It sure looks interesting and is around the right price to catch my eye. Can't wait to hear more.<br />

<br />

Do you think the DACs in the 5 grand and up transports are really better than something like this? The technology seems to change so fast shouldn't one expect better performance at lower cost every year. Of course, if I had a crazy expensive transport I'd be defending it versus a little mini with a gizmo attached I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Are these available? Has anyone gotten one? <br />

<br />

I'm keen to hear reports on performance and usability. How is the headphone output vs. the line level outputs.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

• 2 months later...

Hello,<br />

<br />

This is my first post here :)<br />

<br />

I am very interested in this little wonder. Maybe anybody can tell us somerthing about the headphone-amp quality?<br />

<br />

Would be curious about using it with AKG K-701/702 or Grado SR325i.<br />

<br />

Best, Walter

Walter Kircher HiFi - European High-End Audio distribution company + sales agency based in Austria

www.walterkircher.com

• 5 months later...

In what universe is digital volume control an acceptable audiophile solution? <br />

<br />

I know I will have a swarm of you guys pouncing on me for saying it but seriously if you truly have honed your abilities to separate wheat from chaff you would find digital software volume control to be unacceptable. <br />

<br />

Now all of a sudden because this guy is "respected" by his peers and "blah blah blah" this is acceptable. Can we please stop evaluating and hyping things up because of who designed it or the "reputation" of the designer. This one could be the turd of the group. <br />

<br />

Everyone keep your panties on until you've listened to it and when you listen to it try not to get all wet between the legs because of the hearsay surrounding it. Stay objective people.

Hi sxr71 - It is impossible to evaluate your statements because this is your first post here and we know nothing about you. I think many here will be offended by your tone and your points are certainly lessened by the way you've delivered them here. What you essentially said was all people here is that everyone here is an idiot and you are somehow above the crowd?<br />

<br />

<i>"In what universe is digital volume control an acceptable audiophile solution?"</i><br />

<br />

I've talked to some of the brightest engineers in audio and they say digital volume control, when done well, can't be beat. Are you an AES Fellow or have your designed DACs before? Daniel Weiss, Berkeley Audio Design, and many others who have the highest respect in the industry are using digital volume control.<br />

<br />

On the other hand, the Proton does not have a digital volume control. It has an analog volume control that's controlled by software.<br />

<br />

<i>"...Everyone keep your panties on until you've listened to..."</i><br />

<br />

Have you listened to this DAC? It seems like you haven't because you did not it has an analog volume control.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...