IGNORED

Question re: new Dynaudio Xeo system

I am interested in learning more about the new Dynaudio Xeo system that Chris highlighted from his notes on the 2012 CES. Great company, great speaker reputation for both passive and active models. There is not a lot of specific technical information anywhere on the web, including the Dynaudio website, regarding the Xeo system. I assume that each speaker includes a digital receiver, a DAC, and a Class D amp in addition to the drivers themselves.

Has anyone heard these units and formed an opinion about them? No significant reviews in print or on web.

My questions are:

1. DAC quality - what are they using? What is it comparable to? Is it better than the DAC chip in my kid's $49 Sony CD player? Is it comparable to outboard DACs in the $500-$1000 range? I guess one would have to hear it, but does anyone know anything about its capabilities?

2. The product literature states that the system is will accommodate up to 24 bit/48 kH. I wonder if that is the limit of the transmitter, receiver, DAC, or all of the above. Is it upgradable?

3. What are the consequences of having all of that electronic stuff in the same box? It seems to me that it would be hard to shield the signal path from all that electrical energy. Is that a real concern?

I hope somebody has some experience with this, as I am shopping DACs and speakers right now, and this might be an interesting option as long is it doesn't go the way of the 8-track. I believe that Chris implied that he would be interested in demo'ing the unit in a setting where he could really listen to it...I would be interested in his impressions.

Thanks

I am interested in learning more about the new Dynaudio Xeo system that Chris highlighted from his notes on the 2012 CES. Great company, great speaker reputation for both passive and active models. There is not a lot of specific technical information anywhere on the web, including the Dynaudio website, regarding the Xeo system. I assume that each speaker includes a digital receiver, a DAC, and a Class D amp in addition to the drivers themselves.

Has anyone heard these units and formed an opinion about them? No significant reviews in print or on web.

My questions are:

1. DAC quality - what are they using? What is it comparable to? Is it better than the DAC chip in my kid's $49 Sony CD player? Is it comparable to outboard DACs in the $500-$1000 range? I guess one would have to hear it, but does anyone know anything about its capabilities?

2. The product literature states that the system is will accommodate up to 24 bit/48 kH. I wonder if that is the limit of the transmitter, receiver, DAC, or all of the above. Is it upgradable?

3. What are the consequences of having all of that electronic stuff in the same box? It seems to me that it would be hard to shield the signal path from all that electrical energy. Is that a real concern?

I hope somebody has some experience with this, as I am shopping DACs and speakers right now, and this might be an interesting option as long is it doesn't go the way of the 8-track. I believe that Chris implied that he would be interested in demo'ing the unit in a setting where he could really listen to it...I would be interested in his impressions.

Thanks

I haven't tried a XEO yet, but the first major review is out from What HiFi?:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dynaudio-xeo-3

They really liked it. I really hope there is a review of it soon on Computer Audiophile as I'm seriously considering buying one.

• 1 month later...

I have auditioned the Xeo3 system for now 5 weeks, and am blown away by the sound quality, and ease of use.

They can be tweaked with better power and USB cables, but sound very good fresh from the box.

The transmitter accepts 24/48 and not more. But I never have heard so good sounding files from my Mac (now I put all my Logan Vantage, lyngdorf tda and Linn DS stuff for sale) the last two-three years.

They play deeeeep bass, and sweet highs, and sound much bigger then they are. I also listened to the bigger brother, the Xeo5, which IMO not has the same free sound as the Xeo3

Please audition them yourself, I am blown away by the SQ of these small pearls

Best Regards Mit freundlichen Grüssen Klassen

• 3 months later...

Does it have a DAC built in, then? I am considering these. Can they work with multiple inputs? Ie. one day as a 2.1 system on your TV and then doing music?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

The DAC lives In the boxes. The Transmitter has analog Phono and mini Jack, digital optical and USB input. You can use one Transmitter with three Xeo systems

So yes you can use the optical input for your TV, and the USB for music from your computer. Let me know when you auditioned them. Several of my friends are blown away too ;)

Does it have a DAC built in, then? I am considering these. Can they work with multiple inputs? Ie. one day as a 2.1 system on your TV and then doing music?

One thing I couldn't work out... Can you have one transmitter, two pairs of speakers and have one set of speakers playing the analogue input and the other playing the digital input?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It's in the 2.4 GHz range. I have not had any drop out or interference from other stuff, even though I live in Copenhagen where there is massiv wireless stuff everywhere. I know that Dynaudio stopped counting when they reached 250 wireless networks at CES in Vegas, and didn't have one drop out or problem related to wireless stuff!

Yes it's proprietary

Is the wireless protocol proprietary? Wonder what frequency it uses...
It's in the 2.4 GHz range.

Ah! Thanks!

I have not had any drop out or interference from other stuff, even though I live in Copenhagen where there is massiv wireless stuff everywhere. I know that Dynaudio stopped counting when they reached 250 wireless networks at CES in Vegas, and didn't have one drop out or problem related to wireless stuff!

Good to know! My concern is somewhat in the other direction - not sure I want to have yet another 2.4G system here, as the frequencies are getting rather tight...

I understand your concern. But how many phones and wireless networks are in your area, that you can not control? I mean neighbors have wireless stuff a lot, so even if you don't have any yourself, there is more and more of them going into and through you and your living area ;)

Good to know! My concern is somewhat in the other direction - not sure I want to have yet another 2.4G system here, as the frequencies are getting rather tight...

I understand your concern. But how many phones and wireless networks are in your area, that you can not control? I mean neighbors have wireless stuff a lot, so even if you don't have any yourself, there is more and more of them going into and through you and your living area ;)

Yes, I am painfully aware of that, and that is why I try to minimize it as much as possible. Wifi is one thing, but it seems it is non-wifi 2.4GHz stuff that is the worst culprit - especially DECT phones.