IGNORED

Speaker Noise Question

An active speaker is one with a built-in amplifier. What kind of noise are you talking about? As traditional noise (as opposed to distortion) is generated by active electronics, a passive (without amplifier) speaker doesn't generate any noise. So maybe your question is "does an amplifier built into a speaker generate more noise than an external one"? Don't see any reason why there should be a difference.

Yes that's it, the better question would be "Does an amplifier built into a speaker generate more noise than an external one?"

In the shortcoming future I would like to get me an affordable speaker system that will emit less noise as possible. The noise I'm referring to is like traditional noise you described. I have very senstive ears and go nuts if I hear noise when either nothing is playing or playing something that's quiet.

In order to fulfill this, do I need to go Active speaker or Passive?

plz help!

So is your concern only the hiss/hum that might come from through the speaker, or also mechanical hum from the amplifier enclosure itself? In the latter case, an amp built into a loudspeaker might actually be quieter. But I don't think active vs passive is the main issue - what you need is an amp with a good S/N ratio (so low noise), be it an active or a passive one.

If you're as sensitive to noise as you describe, you really want to try to listen to the equipment before you have to make a final purchasing decision. Thus you'll want to visit dealers or buy from manufacturers that give you an option to return the equipment if not satisfied. Numbers are all well and good, but numbers can be measured different ways, and there are also variables concerning your home and the rest of your system that will affect the outcome. (Google and read about "ground loops" and "ground hum.")

Odyssey Khartago power amplifiers have a very good reputation (never heard them myself), and have an option to return if not satisfied.

Re speakers, I have absolutely loved my Vandersteen 2C speakers (first the 2Ci, then the 2Ce) for the nearly 25 years I've owned them, but I have no idea if they are the sort of speakers you're interested in.

What's your budget?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've seen signal to noise ratio as an amplifier (or other electronics) measurement, but not for speakers.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Julf and Jud for the clarification on the S/N ratio applies on the amps.

To answer your question Jud, I am not sure of my budget as of yet. Way under $1000 for a whole speaker system except for the source player. Chaper the better. I currently have Macbook pro and Audioengine A2 speakers. While the treble is nice and I get good crisp sound, the bass is really lacking. And it sounds "stressed" or edgy? almost like distort, even at low to mid volume. I don't get this stressed edgy sound in my car stereo system. I think I need better speakers. Any ideas?

These are decent speakers for their price. You're not going to get low or loud bass from speakers this size, amplified at 15 watts per channel. Perhaps in an attempt to get more bass you've turned up the volume until the low-wattage amplifiers and/or the small speakers distorted?

I don't know of audiophile quality full range speakers in your price range (less than $1000 including amplification). That isn't to say none exist, but I'm not aware of any.

I personally don't care for subwoofers, but you might look into a powered subwoofer if you want bass and more volume.

If you want cleaner (more accurate) sound into your current speakers, I would look into a low-priced DAC, such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II or the Schiit Bifrost. You would run a USB cable from your Mac to the DAC, then connect the DAC outputs to your speakers. That would still not actually make the bass lower or louder, but it might make you more satisfied with the sound overall.