IGNORED

Mac Book experience; "White" vs "Pro"

emw

Just wanted to let you know my way to pc audio.

After I tried everything to get bit-perfect output from my Dell notebook, I've deceided to buy an Apple Macbook white.

This had all the required output options, Firewire 400, USB, optical mini-toslink, and with 2.1 Ghz /2 GB ram and 160GB HD all you need.

At this time, I had a Weiss DAC2 as demo unit at home. Unfortunately I deceided too late to go the MAC way and had only little time to test the Weiss DAC 2 with the Macbook as source.

However, after some days with the "Macbook white" I changed it for an "old new" Macbook pro", 2,5Ghz/2GB ram, 250GB HD.

There were some reasons beyond the issue as music server, mainly bigger screen for photo and movie work.

But as a pure music server I can only recommand for everybody who is interessted to go for the "white Macbook".

SQ is the same, and it is notable quiter than the "pro" and runs cooler and most important, it has all the output options (FW, USB, Toslink) .

I was always not sure if to choose a Mac mini or the Macbook white.

But now, after some days of use, I really do not want to miss the convienence of the portable pc; and I run it always from the battery - which for sure is not making things worse.

After testing Dell notebook with foobar, media-monkey, songbird and comparing SQ from "Macbook pro" with itunes and songbird, I have deceided for myself, that the easy and save/foolproove approach with MAC/itunes is the way to enjoy computer audio.

There are differences between Sonbird and itunes, yes, but these are too little to give up the plug and play apple route.

Just my 2 cents.........

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE

Good timing. I just left the Apple store and had a similar discussion regarding the tradeoffs of going with a mini or the lowest priced Macbook (i.e. "white). Since I don't have a keyboard or monitor lying around the Macbook looked like a winner. There was also the ability to upgrade to 4 Mb of RAM in the Macbook vs 2 Mb in the mini, which may or may not be required or helpful. Both can run the "remote" application with the iTouch.

My alternative approach was to purchase the mini and not worry about a keyboard or monitor by running it from a new Macbook Pro. Feasible but why not have the keyboard and monitor convenience for direct access provided by the Macbook.

My initial foray is going to be via the G4 Powerbook that is currently in use to run around the Web and then see what debuts from Apple in January as well as what goes on sale.

Once I get most of it out of the boxes the initial set-up will be a G4 Powerbook into a Musical Fidelity V-DAC, into a Simaudio Moon i-1 integrated amp, and DALI Lecktor 6 speakers. I'm looking at a G-Tech external drive for initial storage -- I like the fanless design.

I plan on ripping to AIFF as a safe method instead of Apple lossless as the G4 PC chip may not be up to putting together the lossless files in decent time. This is based on a comment made in a previous thread regarding the flat sound from an Apple Cube playing Apple lossless vs AIFF. Right now storage is cheap and affordable and I only have about 500 CDs to rip.

Will report back on how it goes and any changes or upgrades. I appreciate all the contributions made on this site, especially for this newbie.

Regards,

-Scooter

you`re right absolutely!!

My White Macbook is the third notebook I own and it`s opened a whole new world to me.

Ashley James form AVI has given me the tip and I cannot thank him too much for it.

For me the Macbook is a dream come true. I`ve never enjoyed music more or surfing the internet or working with iPhoto etc, etc..... I`ve become an Apple addict, too. By now I own an iPod Touch 2G, Classic, Shuffle and it`s so much fun.

This world is great!!! :-))

White Macbook - Apple Airport Express - AVI ADM 9.1[br]AVI ADM 9 Owners Club

• 1 month later...

Question for the white MacBook owners. Do you have any problem with discolouring of your MacBooks? I've read horror stories of discolouring caused by the skins contact with the track-pad and surrounding area. Apparently it seems to leave a nicotine like stain that can't be cleaned.

I've noticed that Apple have released aluminum versions of the latest MacBook. One of these would no doubt get around any such issues however it appears you pay more for the aluminum model than the white, the aluminum model appearing to have faster RAM.

The reason for my question is that I'm thinking of selling my iMac at some point this year and replacing it with a MacBook. I don't want to go with the white model if discolouring is an issue but wouldn't particularly like to pay more for the aluminum model if it isn't! :)

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

I'd say discoloration is a distinct possibility. Especially considering this from Apple.

MacBook: About white MacBook palmrest area

HT1472

Summary

Learn what to do with a Macbook that has a discolored palmrest.

Products Affected

MacBook

If your MacBook is exhibiting discoloration on the top case after some use, please contact AppleCare for assistance.

Darren - I'm typing on my MacBook Air right now. I'll never give this thing up, it's awesome!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

is, that it has FW400 output.

Depending on how and where you want to use it, the plastic white surface can be a problem.

But for me, as I only want to use it as a audio drive, it would not bother me at all.

The benefit of running cooler, less fan noise, FW400 out, compared to the new alu look MacBooks is worse the trouble of possible discolouration.

Just my view.....

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE

So the white MacBook actually runs a lot quieter than the aluminum model, which also omits firewire?

Most interesting. Thanks emw.

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

If it is caused by skin contact, you might be able to find a plastic cover from the likes of

www.zagg.com

which avoids it.

If Apple are acknowledging the issue, they may be prepared to do something about it if it occurs. I would have thought that the white Macbook will vanish from the line sometime in 2009 as it's probably only there to pad out the lower end until the prices drop.

In the PFO interviews on computer music (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_sanders.htm, has anyone mentionned those here already? I think all the interviews are worth reading by all of us to see where the key engineers of this new industry agree and disagree...) Vincent Sanders (distributor of amarra and clearly one of the most experienced guys in the survey) said that the white macbook does not do a good job at ripping.

It has been my experience: when a few poor condition cds are inserted the macbook gets hot quickly and is at pains and finally stops. To disable the error correction does not really improve things.

Having ripped 2100 cd's with my January 07 macbook I would like to buy a macbook pro or the new aluminium macbook: can anyone tell me if the cd drive on the new macbook is improved compared to the one used in the white macbook?

thanks

martin

Dac202/LebenXS/MagicoV2 Stealth cables www.bluedy.com

Might be the best bet for that. I've only used Powerbook G4s but the two drives I've used (well, three - I replaced one) differ in how well they cope with slightly warped disks. The Superdrive (DVD burner) works best and has caused no problems at all.

Better still, for CDs, is a portable external Firewire Lacie CD burner. That will happily play any CD when the older Powerbook gives up on it.

Not sure if it is the drive, or the tight space it has to be fitted into which causes problems on the older Powerbook.

Having a spare external CD burner isn't a bad thing to have around for the occassional dodgy disk and relatively cheap to pick up on eBay if you don't need a DVD burning facility.

Chris,

you are a happy user of the macbook air: would you recommend it vs macbbook/macboo pro?

This computer I am using mostly for music but also for a little bit of word/excel.

What kind of external cd drive would you recommend to get the best rip if I were to purchase the air?

thks

martin

Dac202/LebenXS/MagicoV2 Stealth cables www.bluedy.com

why your Macbook is having those problems, but I`ve ripped a few hundred CDs and not once had problems with it.

I don`t think it`s a matter of having a Macbook, Pro or Unibody.....

White Macbook - Apple Airport Express - AVI ADM 9.1[br]AVI ADM 9 Owners Club

An external CD sounds the best bet if the one in your Macbook is dodgy. Certainly the cheapest. Mine was a basic 8x Lacie Firewire drive, readily available on eBay by now, I would imagine.

Re Macbook Air - you're restrictedto USB external drives. Not that this should be a problem. When I got my Firewire drive, the Powerbook only had USB 1.1 and Firewire was considerably faster. Firewire still does feel faster than USB 2 when transfering files and scanning but that's just my impression.

I went with a MacBook "white" and even went "refurbished"...I have been very happy and with the money I saved, I picked up an iTouch....

John

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...