IGNORED

New setup 3000$?

Hi audiophiles,

I'm looking to buy first setup and was looking for advise what to buy by the experts! I will listen most of the time from my iPhone or iPad so I think it would be preferably to buy a dock with digital out (bypassing built-in DAC): Cambridge ID100 connected to external DAC: DacMagic.

Since I listen to CD's pretty often I need a CDplayer but I don't have any idea how to compare these (except for listening somewhere) I will be using Digital Out to the DacMagic also (which has 2 Optical Digital inputs).. But since I read CD-player do not output bitperfect but fill in missed gaps by themselves I don't know how much to spend here. Also I will be needing a (integrated) amplifier and speakers, any suggestions here? I measured my room: 5,2m by 5,9m, height 3m.. Budget ID100 and DacMagic EXCLUDED about $2300?

PS: I'm listening mostly to lossless 16/44.1 files but I do also have around 100 songs in 24/96 format which I'm able to natively play (not entirely sure YET) with an app called FLAC-player for my iPhone go check ik out.

Thanks!

Have you checked out the Peachtree Audio iDecco? It gives you an integrated amplifer and a digital iPod dock (used for maybe 700$).

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/idecco/idecco.html

http://www.stereophile.com/content/peachtree-idecco-da-integrated-amplifier

http://www.avguide.com/review/peachtree-audio-idecco-integrated-ampusb-dacipod-dock-playback-27

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/196-peachtree-audio-idecco-integrated-amplifier?tmpl=component&print=1

What are you looking at for speakers? I am pretty new to audiophilia and on a ridiculously low budget; went with bookshelf speakers and then found out that proper speaker placement was going to require some good speaker stands. Tack on some bucks!...so just saying, don't forget about stands (and cables for that matter) with your budget.

Here is one budget breakdown from Robert Harley's Complete Guide to Hi-End Audio.

Speakers: 40%

Digital Source: 13%

Preamp/Power amp: 40%

Interconnects: 7%

I use a coax between my Blu Ray player and the DacMagic for playing CD's and it is pretty good. Seems like on a budget cable, coax is going to perform better than Toslink optical...but that is just based on my memory from reading online about it. Some of the experts here may have better information for you.

Personally, I decided to not buy a CD player just for transport. I was on this very forum last month considering a CDP and ended up putting my money into better cables (and a Blu Ray player).

You might as well just rip those puppies to your computer and stick an Apple Airport Express on the back of your DacMagic with optical out. Airport Express is lossless for 16/44 as far as I can tell, and (maybe) better because it is buffered. It would downsample your 24 bit material, though.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple

Best of luck with setting up your system. And remember, I'm not an expert! :-)

Another option to consider: gives you a DAC and wireless play from your computer (thus no need for iPod dock) is the AudioEngine D2:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D2

It supports your high res files, and leaves you 2400$ to spend on your other components.

I just ordered the D1 (just the DAC, no wireless) and should be getting it tomorrow. Very excited to try it out and use it for my headphones rig at work.

Oh and one more thing: The DacMagic plus has a headphone jack rated for 32-600ohms.. What would happen if I connect my 50 ohm Sennheiser 595HD?

Does the DAC know which impedance headphones is connected? Or is the Sennheiser overdriven in some way losing Bass response? I can't find a clear answer on this subject impedance mismatch..?

I've been to a hifi retailer and listened to a lot different combinations and found this to be the best: Myryad Mi (Amplifier, CDplayer and Tuner in one box with iPod-dock) in combination with a digital dock ($99 Pure i-20) it sounded surprisingly alot better because the iPhone built-in DAC was bypassed.

Also the $1500 Xanadu AW-15/2 speakers turned out to be the best to my ears.. My question is: have I been listening wrong? Because when I came home I googled on Xanadu and couldn't find at least 1 review of the specific speaker.. The brand is not very well-known, could I get a much better (evenly looking good) speaker for the same money? Or is it personal preference here.. Any recommendations whether I should buy this setup or not? Thanks

didn't have much info on the speakers? If you are doing direct comparisons to other products in the store (and spending at least an hour doing so), then I don't know man. If your ears say yes, and you trust your ears. My biggest question would be on how to handle repairs or other manufacturer stuff. If they are overseas, does the process change (more expensive to ship)? I'm not sure...haven't owned any stuff like that.

digital sources / Dac / computer are becoming much more important these days

25%

I'd probably put interconnects down more towards 2.5 to 5% of budget

Speakers 40%

Power amp 35%

Preamps are usually being bundled with the DACs these days so frees up some funds there

$80 in speaker cable the Mogami I use is excellent

$50 in interconnects, BJC is great but AES Mogami will probably be as good

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers