IGNORED

Blown woofer :-(

Hi All,

Last week one of my Scan Speak woofers blew. Needless to say I was not a happy camper! Getting a replacement unit (or two, the other one has been showing signs of upcoming failure as well) is going to be very expensive.

But, I remembered I had two Dynaudio midwoofers lying around that were originally designed for car-audio purposes (the MW160). I looked up the T/S parameters and found out it was more suitable for sealed enclosures. So, I did some calculations and ended up with an enclosure of some 15 liters (I later saw that was the Dynaudio-recommended volume on the spec-sheet)

So, I stuffed the bass-reflex port, and dumped 9 liters of sand in the enclosure. I fiddled a bit to get the MW160 fitted air-tight and did some listening and measuring (not very accurate, but it will have to do. It is relative anyway).

I guess I will have to change the x-over a bit; there is a little 2-3 dB dip around x-over point, but it does not sound disturbing right now.

Time to get to the other one!

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)