IGNORED

Asynchronous USB upgrade kit for Nuforce uDac2

For what it is worth. Came across this afternoon -- seems Nuforce have released a Nuforce uDAC2 SE (async) model, as well as an upgrade kit for existing uDac2 users.

Haven't found any actual reviews of the performance of the SE (async) version, but at $189 SGD ($140 USD) it could be a worthwhile upgrade. Serious thinking may have to try and "sneak' one under the radar of "she who must be obeyed" :-)

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/

Upgrade kit in SNG:

http://audioiconic.com/udac-2se-upgrade-kit/

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

The uDAC-2SE (Special Edition) and uDAC-2SGE (Signature Gold Edition) are designed for Asynchronous USB Audio mode. The difference between synchronous and asynchronous USB audio is detectable by most, but best left for the individual audio enthusiast and audiophile to decide.

That's why if you're new to appreciating high-quality USB audio, we recommend that you start with our baseline uDAC-2 model without Asynchronous USB Audio to avoid the more involved setup required for AA. If you ever decide to upgrade to a uDAC-2SE, we provide the option to purchase a kit ($140) that includes a replacement circuit board and stainless steel front and back panels*

Therefore, get the cheap one, find out it sounds like shite, and probably give up altogether on computer audio, or faff about getting the upgrade, all for $20 more than if you'd got the superior asynchronous one in the first place.

I think I'll give this one a very wide berth. (Although might keep the gold edition in mind if I re-locate to Dubai.)

Mac G5 PowerPC > iTunes[br]MIND:[br][Pure Music] > APOGEE Duet > AKG K702[br]BODY:[br]--- cheap USB --- XITEL Hi-Fi Link (with Russ Andrews PowerPak mod) --- stock toslink --- SONY MDS-JE510 MiniDisc (used as DAC) --- RADIO SHACK --- SONNETEER Alabaster ----- bell wire ----- ELTAX Millennium Minis[br]SOUL:[br]www.radiolab.com

maybe a bit harsh. The standard version, which I have had for seven months or so, sounds ok. Given that the async version wasn't around when I brought it, plus the pricing actually makes it ok.

Here in Singapore - SE version is approx same price as buying the standard plus upgrade .... but the Gold SE version ---> $580.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade kit arrived today. Essentially it's a complete replacement DAC bar the actual housing.

Kit consists of:

2 x Stainless Steel panels (front and rear)

1 x Metal Knob

1 x "Electronic" Assembly - aka the "DAC"

1 x Screw kit

1 x Hex wrench for the screw kit.

(The Stainless steel panels actually add quite a bit of weight -- the DAC no longer feels "cheap")

Only got a couple of hours on it so far, have been playing 24 / 96 kHz vinyl rips, and to me it sounds "clearer" - like a thin layer of material has been removed between me and the music.

Hard to say if it would be good purchase straight off, but for me, as an incremental upgrade it appear to be a good step.