IGNORED

Bluetooth Compatibility with Airplay

I like Airplay. It sounds good, it's reliable, and my friends can come over and play music via my Apple TV2 from their iPhones.

I wish Airplay worked in my car. I've looked into making that happen, and it requires not only an Airplay compatible device, but a wireless network. This seems like unnecessary overhead, and an unnecessary electrical load on my car battery. Plus, my iPhone would lose it's 3G connection while connected to this dummy network, so internet radio would not be possible from my iPhone in my car if I chose Airplay.

Recently, I saw the following rumor about Apple planning to support Bluetooth for Airplay.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/11/apple-planning-to-add-bluetooth-support-for-airplay-and-expand-ios-accessory-capabilities/

Would this solve the problems using Airplay in my car? Would the fidelity be as good?

My question posed another way is, what makes Airplay, Airplay? And does a wireless network have something to do with it?

Thank you.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR