IGNORED

CAPS v2 / ZONES / DAC / BC 1.5

WARNING: First post, well-read Newbie…

Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated!!

CONTEXT: The below questions are in context of:

•Expanding existing system to include CAPS v2 server and 2nd high quality home-office zone:

•Main Zone existing equipment: Lexicon MC-12b (pre-pro), Theta Dreadnaught (amp), Infinity Prelude MTS (towers on subs).

•Looking to achieve superb audio without breaking the bank (but likely won’t appreciate last few quality % points (ears and experience not at level of others here))

ZONES: I would like a single CAPS v2 to serve two high quality zones about 50’ apart via EAS/EUB from its two USB ports.

•Zone A/Main Zone: CAPS v2 >Lexicon/Theta/Infinity

•Zone B/Home Office: CAPS v2>DAC > Powered monitors or 2.1

•Because Lexicon has EAS/EUB input, I’m expecting to put CAPS in Zone B and run 50’+ via EAS/EUB to Lexicon in Zone A.

•If bad idea to do long EAS/EUB run to best zone, I could reverse and locate CAPS in Zone A next to Lexicon with and run 50’+ via EAS/EUB from CAPS to DAC in Zone B.

QUESTIONS:

1.Any comments/guidance on the above?

2.Any good reason not to have a single CAPS II serving two HQ zones from separate USB feeds via EAS/EUB?

3.Is 50’-75’ reasonable via EAS/EUB?

4.Recommended reasonably priced cable?

5.Please recommend USB? EAS/EUB converter for CAPS v2. Is Trends Audio UD-10.1 USB audio converter a good choice ($170)? Reviewed on CA 11-2008 here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Trends-Audio-UD-10-1-USB-Audio-Converter-Review

?

DACS:

•Zone A: I intend to use the lexicon’s DACs, unless they are considered below par for 2-Ch music. Alternatively could use external DAC and set Lexicon to “pass-through”.

•Zone B: I’ll need DAC with headphone amp and volume control to feed powered monitors or 2.1. I’m seriously considering the Bel Canto 1.5.

QUESTIONS:

1.In Zone A, is it reasonable to use Lexicon DAC fed from CAPS, or am I better with external DAC? (i.e. how good are lexicon’s DACs?)

2.In Zone B: is the BC 1.5 a good choice?

3.In Zone B: Is it a mistake to go DAC->Powered speaker, or should I add pre-amp with powered speakers or amplify to non-powered speakers? (i.e. is pre amp recommended w BC 1.5? Are good powered speakers as good as or better than non-powered?)

4.Is the headphone amp in the BC 1.5 high quality (not discussed much in reviews)

5.For near-field listening (Zone B Office), is the recommended set up 2 monitors or 2.1?

6.Any recommendations for high quality but “affordable” monitors or 2.1 to pair with CAPS and BC 1.5?

CABLES: For both zones, is there such a thing as “affordable” but good cables appropriate for the equipment being discussed? What are recommended sources and product lines?

Sorry this post was involved. Thanks for your help!!!

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA