IGNORED

System infrastructure, planning and synergy?

Let me preface my post by stating that although I've been following this site for some time, I am a computer audio neophyte. I've been running Pure Music and now Audirvana on a Mac Mini and Macbook pro from internal and external hard drives to four separate stereo systems for a few years. I plan on purchasing a VortexBox NAS and a pair of Squeezebox Touches to begin to consolidate my music collection and enable me to stream music throughout the house. I plan on using the SBTs for "background" music (i.e. noncritical listening) in rooms like the kitchen. I'd like to eventually get a dedicated music server like the CAPS 2 or Auraliti for more "critical" listening (if critical listening can be accomplished while playing air guitar). My house is wired with CAT 5 cable, but it's all deadheaded unlabeled in a basement utility room, so it would be a bit of a project to get a wired network up and running. I use a rudimentary wireless network.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a primer, or has advice, on setting up the basic infrastructure for a home music streaming network. Should I use a wired network, a wireless network or can I combine the two? Is the VortexBox a good choice for music storage? Are there better alternatives? I think the Auraliti PK100 looks like a very attractive music server, but disappointed that it will apparently not stream from a NAS. If I understand what I've read, it will stream from a network drive. Why not a NAS? What's the difference between a NAS and a drive on a network anyway? Does the PK100 sound better that a simple streamer like the SBT?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your responses.

PJ

PJ Diez