IGNORED

Bit-Perfect Audio

Yukinari

So I've been tinkering around trying to get bit-perfect audio out of my speakers and think I may have got it working, but I need some confirmation first. I have Bose Companion 5 speakers that use USB and require no sound card. I could not get Wasapi to work with foobar2000 apparently because these speakers do not allow me to change the sample rate or bit depth in speaker properties. (It's grayed out at 16 bit, 48000 Hz DVD Quality) So I tried the Asio4all and ASIO method and it seems to be working, but am not able to play DTS audio or AC3 without the plugins supplied on the foobar website. So my question is, how do I know for sure this is working properly?

Hi Yukinari,

Don't worry about the "bit-perfect" thing!

If you set up your Bose-system as described in the manual it will give you the best possible audible result, regardless of what audio-player (like Foobar2000) or the audio-files you want to play.

Don't listen to the speakers... Listen to the music!

Enjoy,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

I do not know the Bose system you have, but if that is what Bose is using it should be.

Again, don't worry about the whole "bit-perfect" thing! I am sure you will have the best quality you can get with the Bose-recommended setup.

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Yukinari,

To use ASIO you need an ASIO-compatible driver. Bose does not provide it, so it becomes a DirectSound device as it uses the Windows drivers.

That is all fine. You can delete the asio4all stuff.

I guess Bose has set the sample- and bit-rate to a fixed 16/48 (could not find any info on that), so either Windows needs to perform up- or down-sampling, or Foobar needs to do it.

Peter