IGNORED

If I Convert a FLAC file to Apple Lossless with max, then later convert the file back to FLAC, will it be the same?

attndef

Just an interesting premise to think about, I have loads of apple lossless files that I converted from FLAC and then deleted the original FLAC. Now I want to convert some of those Apple lossless files back to flac. Any damage to original FLAC file? All conversions done with MAX.

I'm not entirely sure about the way Max handles files but if everything is setup correctly the files will remain the same. I do strongly suggest that you substitute Max with XLD as it offers a much better ripping engine and has less bugs.

Listening Room: ALIX.2D2 (Voyage MPD) --> Arcam rDAC --> Marantz PM-15S2 --> Quadral Wotan Mk V

Drinking Room: ALIX.2D2 --> M2Tech hiFace 2 --> Cambridge Audio Azur 740C --> Rotel RC-06/RB-06 --> B&W XT4

Home head-fi: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD 650

On the go head-fi: Sennheiser IE 8

Lossless stays lossless if Max doesn't mess it. If you would use XLD and convert from one lossless format to another like FLAC and back to WAV and again to FLAC and so on your RAW file stays intact. I would use XLD.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25