IGNORED

Universal Remote Application for iPad

Wondering if anyone has experience with an application for iPad that is an excellent universal remote. I've looked at website info from Logitech, Control4 and a few others that look promising. Simple touch screen GUI...promise of easily programmable macros from complex component configurations that sum up to a single touchscreen button...connectivity to TV/cable listings...iTunes playlists on the screen...dim the lights...walk the dog etc.

I'm looking for something that's more than just an alpha/num pad and play/fforward/rev buttons. Importantly, looking for something that not only is slick and easy with home theater/TV but also can operate a headless mac mini music server running Pure Music (and potentially other players) without necessarily doing it via screen sharing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

I took the plunge on a Griffin Beacon when it first came out a few months ago, and honestly, I can't recommend it. The hardware is okay, though it has a pretty small IR "sweet spot" when teaching it from your dedicated remote, which makes this activity kind of a PITA. I could live with that, but the software is pretty lame -- it just doesn't allow for what I'd consider an adequate level of customization on a device-by-device basis. They do issue software updates pretty frequently, so I guess it could get better over time. I haven't yet seen anything in the release notes for the updates that's made me think they were working on the device controls, though.

The bright spot about the Beacon is that the TV listings aspect is pretty nice, but that wasn't my primary area of interest.

iLounge.com does a pretty good job reviewing this stuff, so that's a way to keep abreast of what's available. They weren't too keen on the Logitech Harmony. Much as I'd like to be able to use my iPhone as a universal remote, I honestly think the best thing going now is one of the non-iDevice Harmony units.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Appreciate sharing your experience. I've yet to find anything that goes beyond my URC unit.

cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5