IGNORED

iMac Digital Out

I am sending music out of my iMac with the mini optical out to my DAC. OS X Lion is my software and I have the MIDI Utility set to 96 kHz at 24 bit for my high resolution files. Does anyone know of a way to have the iMac automatically change the MIDI Utility to match the way my music is stored on the hard drive or how the get the information out Bit Perfect? I am using Song Bird for my high resolution FLAC files and AIFF files stored on iTunes. I am kind of new to this, I thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

Curtis

iTUNES or your iMAC cannot automatically change the sample rate or word length to match the original encoding and hence the utility of using PureMusic/Amarra etc. What you can do is to arrange songs (playlists) according to word length or sample rate and change the midi settings before playback of each list. Am not sure about the features of songbird. Hope this helps.

You might be interested in Bitperfect player on the itunes app store. There is a thread on this forum with more info. Bitperfect won't play FLAC, but it works behind the scenes with itunes, is bit perfect and changes sample rate automatically. You can use XLD or Max to convert your flac files to AIFF.

YES, but also depends on the specs of the DAC. For instance the Peachtree iDAC (albeit not a asynchronous one) cannot decode 88.2 and so this will get down sampled to 44.1. but if you careful about the specs, iTunes will work just fine and adjust your sampling rate.