IGNORED

Another One Of Those "What's Best" Threads...DACs $500 and under

OK, system configuration forces the sale of my beloved EE Minimax (decided to go back to a dedicated Pre, and I'm not crazy about the fact that the EE doesn't have a fixed output for such use). Plus, the EE is commnading a premium on the used market right now...for obvious reasons...and I need some of that cache to cover the new Pre.

I run an SBT (with high-current PSU) through coax s/pdif, so usb is not an issue for now; I am very involved in hi-res files, so that is.

At some point, I'll look to replace the EE with a suitable DAC in the ~$1k category...but for now, I need to take a temporary step back, and get a "stop-gap" DAC at like $500 (or even less).

What are the best choices around this price? Some contenders...

Peachtree Audio DACiT

Arcam rDAC

Simaudio Moon 100D

those are newer DACs; or would I still be better served with some models that have been around for a while, like The PS Audio DLIII or Benchmark DAC-1 (if I could find a non-usb for ~$500). I am also curious about the MHDT Paradisea, but that's NOS, right? So no good for a hi-res guy like myself?

Appreciate any help you guys can shed.

CD

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

I've tried the PS Audio, Benchmark and some Simaudio cd players. Of the three, the Benchmark was my least favourite because it seemed to be too vague in its presentation. The PS Audio was good but definitely not excellent. The Simaudio players were nice and juicy, so I imagine that the 100D would share some of that sound signature.