IGNORED

Airport Express Setup: Confusing options

Hello all,

I'd say i'm reasonably tech savvy... but I'm surprisingly confused, even after doing research online, about which setup option(s) I need to use for my music server.

Here's what I have, and what I want...

I got a modem which is connected to a wireless-N router. Next, I have two wireless-N capable computers... a desktop and a laptop, both with iTunes installed and identical music libraries. Finally, I have just bought an Airport Express which has a single cable connection to my living room stereo, and no cable connection to the router.

All I want to do is wirelessly surf the internet on either of my computers (as usual), while playing my iTunes music on my stereo. That's it!

Before introducing the Airport Express... my computers get wireless internet by connnecting to "Cloud 69"... I suppose this is considered my home's wireless "network" via the router, though my computers aren't setup to communicate with each other over this network.

1. Okay, so which setup options do I now need to use in Airport Utility? And would I be correct in assuming that I only need to set it up ONCE in Airport Utility, using either computer - not both individually?

2. Also... whenever I open Airport Utility, it never automatically finds the airport express on the left side (whether AE is blinking amber or has a solid green light). What I end up having to do is log into my router's browser page (192.168.x.x), find what IP address the AE is using to connect to my router, go into "Airport Utility - File - Configure Other" and enter the AE's IP address (and password) as seen in my router's browser page.... only then can I access the "Configure Apple Wireless Device" settings (Airport, Internet, Music, Printers, Advanced... Summary, Base Station, Wireless).

3. Another question... once Airport Express is setup, I shouldn't have to always run Airport Utility, should I? Airport Express should be automatically ready to receive signals from either of my computers at any time, right? All I need to do is open up iTunes and select my living room stereo as output on the lower bar, right?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

You are correct that you'll only need to set it up once, and you will not need to run it again until Apple issues updated software for the Airport Express.

You can set the preferences in Airport Utility to automatically detect Airports that have have issues or need to be updated. I find it terrifically convenient to set up this feature so my computer will alert me when there are Airport software updates.

To configure in your system, I'd recommend trying this:

1) Make sure the Airport Express is configured to factory settings. Using a paperclip to hold down the reset button for 5-10 seconds after plugging in will blink the light green several times to indicate a reset.

2) Join the "Apple Network HEXADECIMAL" network when it becomes available to your computer.

3) Run Airport Utility, it should auto-identify your Airport Express.

4) Use the setup wizard

You will be asked several understandable questions about system setup including Airport Express name, password, etc.

5) Choose to have Airport Express join your existing network.

5) Identify your existing network and authenticate against it.

6) After successfully configuring the Airport, join your existing network.

7) Airport Express should show your Airport Express.

8) Choose to manually configure it.

9) Select the Music tab to enable AirPlay

10) Set the "iTunes Speaker Name to something snazzy. :-)

11) Quite AirPort Utility

12) Launch iTunes on your laptop

13) Select the snazzy name from the AirPlay symbol-menu in the bottom-right corner of the iTunes

14) Select the correct input on your audio system

15) Turn volume off in iTunes, mid-volume on your system

16) Play music in iTunes

17) Listen to music pour forth from your audio system

18) Adjust audio system volume to max useful at full volume in iTunes

19) Turn down audio system volume to comfort

20) Enjoy!

Somewhere along the way, you may need to choose to "update" your Airport Express to save your configuration data.

That should put you on the path to success! :-)

Shunyata Power -> 2011 Mac Mini -> OYAIDE NEO d+ FireWire -> Weiss DAC 202 -> Dual Mono McIntosh 2102 -> 2x Double Shotgun Clear Day Cables -> B&W 803D

Tmornini...

Your sense of humour shines through your writing. I followed your steps, and success. Thanks for taking the time out to write a reply - much appreciated! :) Hopefully a few others can benefit in the future from our wee correspondence.

Cheers!