IGNORED

Please Help - My Weiss DAC2 seems to be out of order

I bought a Weiss DAC2 around 2 years ago and it was working fine with my MacBook Pro until today. Today, when I turned on my computer and the DAC2, the Firewire button on the DAC2 kept blinking. I then checked the Weiss Icon and was prompted with the message "Device Not Found". This indicated that the DAC2 is not properly connected to the MacBook Pro. To address this issue, I tried the following action:-

1. Turn off the DAC2 and restart ==> Firewire Button still blinking - Device not found.

2. Unplug the power cable of DAC2 and initiate a "cold" start==> Firewire Button still blinking - Device not found

3. Change the firewire cable with a known working firewire cable. Confirmed it was not the firewire cable that is at fault.

4. Connect a firewire harddisk with the MacBook Pro through the laptops firewire port. As the harddisk is working with the firewire port of the MacBook Pro connected, it is safe to conclude that the firewire port of the MacBook Pro is not faulty.

5. Reinstalled the driver (albeit the old one that comes with the package) ==> Firewire Button still blinking - Device not found.

6. Instead of operating under Mac OS, I boot up in Win 7 ==> Firewire Button still blinking - Device not found.

7. More importantly, I disconnect the DAC2 with the MacBook Pro and use it as a standard DAC with a CD player through the SPDIF socket==> The SPDIF Button on the DAC2 is still blinking.

My question is whether there is a method to "hard reset" the DAC2? I am not sure if this is a hardware or a software problem. Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure about the hard-reset.

I was suspecting you may have fried the firewire chip on the DAC2 by hot-plugging the DAC2 into the powered macmini (as explicitly mentioned in the manual one should NOT do). Until I read your point #7 that is.

Do you always ensure to the power cables are detached from the device when plugging into the computer? If not perhaps a fried firewire chip may be causing the SPDIF to act up also.

I would fire an email to Weiss support however Daniel frequents these forums and he may be able to help you out here. Good luck!

Dear jdebonth,

Thanks for your reply. As suggested, I did send an email to Daniel. As usual, he promptly replied my mail. He commented that it might be a hardware failure. I will try to contact the local dealer of Weiss tomorrow. Hopefully, it is still covered under the warranty.